Nike Pegasus - Is there a lightweight race shoe version?

4 watchers
May 2013
10:22pm, 30 May 2013
465 posts
  •  
Brian G
Anyone know if there's a lightweight / race shoe version of the Nike Pegasus trainer?

Ta
BG
May 2013
9:53am, 31 May 2013
1,469 posts
  •  
Hackett
Not a fan of Nike trainers but aren't the new lightweight trainers called Nike Free ?? They also have a breathe range which looks similar to the Pegasus a friend of mine bought in Sweatshop.

prodirectrunning.com
May 2013
3:18pm, 31 May 2013
3,633 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Nike used to make a lovely lightweight neutral shoe, in the style of a 'normal' trainer - not a true racer, but a very light cushioned shoe. Skylon. And they discontinued it, the buggers.

I've not tried Nike Free. There's the Lunar range, which include a racer. But they are not related to Pegasus at all, completely different design. I can't get on with them, I don't like the uppers, a bit stiff and plasticky for me.
May 2013
3:34pm, 31 May 2013
1,018 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
The short answer BG is....Yes. Nike make the 'breathe' version of their regular shoes which have lighter uppers. They make the shoes fractionally lighter but they are still some distance away from a racer. I have used the Triax 'breathe' in the past and couldn't notice a difference in all honesty.

wiggle.co.uk

Nike Free are very different. I have run a couple of pairs of those in to the ground. Love 'em. My podiatrist hates them (numpty).

Everyone who posts will recommend a different pair of lightweight shoes. My vote goes to the Saucony Kinvara. They are super light but still provide good cushioning.

All that said, all shoes are pretty light when you're a size 41 like me!
May 2013
3:42pm, 31 May 2013
28,741 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
Or try Nike Zoom Elite
May 2013
4:59pm, 31 May 2013
2,321 posts
  •  
tom_craggs
Try the Nike Zoom Streak racer, version 3 if you can get hold of a pair (better than 4). Until they made the new flyknit racer this was what many of their elite marathon guys ran in. Forget the lunaracers IMO - spongy and totally unresponsive.
May 2013
5:00pm, 31 May 2013
2,322 posts
  •  
tom_craggs
Miss the days of some pretty good, simple nike shoes - mayfly, vaporfly etc
May 2013
5:07pm, 31 May 2013
3,062 posts
  •  
RunningBob
Nike Zoom Elite are ok but I still find them a bit chunky. Nike Zoom Victory used to be good but I can't see any equivalent in current Nike shoes.

An equivalent simple shoe is Brooks ST5 which are also long lasting and relatively cheap.
Jun 2013
1:51pm, 2 Jun 2013
467 posts
  •  
Brian G
Thanks for all the feedback. I will have a good read up on the models you've all mentioned, thanks :-)

I guess as I use Nike Pegasus normal trainers without any problems whatsoever I want to buy a race equivalent, 'safe' in the knowledge that I won't have any problems.

I was hoping that Nike Pegasus trainers = Nike Model 'X' in racing flats.
Jun 2013
2:14pm, 2 Jun 2013
4,626 posts
  •  
Smout
Hmmm.... I had loads of pegasus (3 slightly different models as manufacturers love to do) in the couple of years pre and just after baby but after a few months as I got faster again an (I think) I lost a little weight and form naturally changing I found them too heavy / clunky. Switched to Saucony Fastwiches and haven't looked back.

Have an old pair of pegasus lying around ive started using just our and about an they feel huge an weird for even a few jogged steps in.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Brian G
Anyone know if there's a lightweight / race shoe version of the Nike Pegasus trainer?

Ta
BG