Running route in/around Newcastle

4 watchers
Feb 2013
4:40pm, 3 Feb 2013
1,057 posts
  •  
ClaireT
Hi Folks

Looking for recommendations please for a running route in Newcastle. Will be working there later in week and need to run 10 miles after work, somewhere that is soft surface like grass or mud track. I am thinking canal path out and back or loops of a park, or something. Will be working in NE5 region then driving down to Washington, so could do the run at either end, or stop the car in between if there is a better place to go.

Feb 2013
5:00pm, 3 Feb 2013
6,189 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Hi Claire, while I'm based up north I'm not that good at where might be good for you, especially to fit in 10m but I'm sure some of the newcastle experienced fetchies will come along soon and help out. My thought would be to head into Newcastle centre to the quayside (free parking after 6pm) and run along the river, but not sure if you'd get 10 miles out of it. Otherwise there is the town moor where they hold the Newcastle Park Run.

Hopefully someone with a bit more of a help will be along soon.
Feb 2013
5:31pm, 3 Feb 2013
1,058 posts
  •  
ClaireT
Hi GD, I have run along the river before, really love it there but it is all hard surface, have a wee injury that is flaring up so need/want to stick to a softer route if poss. Town Moor might be an option, just looked at the map and it doesn't seem to be too far from where I am working in Westerhope.

Thanking you :)
Feb 2013
5:53pm, 3 Feb 2013
2,892 posts
  •  
Black Cat
If you can get down to the seafront at South Shields, the Leas(end of the GNR) could be an option.
Feb 2013
6:18pm, 3 Feb 2013
2,198 posts
  •  
SusiesueH
Hi Claire

if you're in Westerhope you're close to the river at Newburn where you could do a loop on trail paths. You need to run in daylight though. Fmail me if you need specifics :-)
Feb 2013
6:19pm, 3 Feb 2013
6,192 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
The Newburn loop is lovely :)
Feb 2013
6:21pm, 3 Feb 2013
5,320 posts
  •  
flip
Heck the possibilites arealmost endless but it depends on where you are exactly and what time of day you want to run (for the traffic) and how far you wish to travel. Looking at NR5 it's over to the west so I would posibly head for the Derent walk area or the woods nearby. It's just of the A1M and takes you through some great landscapes

Washington is a vast area so again it depends where. Lovely route along the river from steels park and one of my favourites the woods and hills around Penshaw monument. Not to mention the huge herrington park accorss the road from it .

If your up here for a limited amount of time i'd try and get a run in around the coast or even our rendezvous run along the coast and thrugh hollywell dene but thats over to the east. . Why not put a shout out on the North east parkrun thread and see if anyone has time to show you around.
Feb 2013
7:27pm, 3 Feb 2013
1,059 posts
  •  
ClaireT
Thanks guys. It is just a one day flying visit. I am hoping to run afrer work around 4-5pm. I will be in Westerhope then, so may try that Newburn loop if it is still light. It is the Holiday Inn I am staying in Washington. No gym and in an industrial estate by the looks of things.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by ClaireT
Hi Folks

Looking for recommendations please for a running route in Newcastle. Will be working the...