Shoe Care

1 watcher
Jan 2013
8:45pm, 1 Jan 2013
4,071 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I'm after a bit of advice with what to do with my shoes post-run (particularly off-road/trail/fell shoes), especially after very muddy/wet runs. My Speedcrosses seem to have developed a small hole in the uppers - I'm putting this down to running through too much aggressive vegetation and brambles when orienteering, but don't really want to have to shell out for a new pair of shoes every 6months or less. Especially if the holes are caused by the uppers rotting due to them being covered in mud or peat.

Therefore am I doing the right thing by giving my shoes a wash and stuffing them with newspaper and letting them dry near a radiator. I can't see any problem obviously when they get soaked, such as after ALS yesterday, but is ok to keep washing them after every really muddy run?

All tips would be appreciated. Thanks!
Jan 2013
8:53pm, 1 Jan 2013
18,243 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
Yes - it's fine.
Actually your shoes will last longer if you clean them. because you get out all the small bits of grit that embed themselves in the fibres of the upper material and break them down with movement - especially if you run in them while they are NOT wet!!

But few people actually do wash them or at least thoroughly rinse out the mud regularly.

Peat is evil - it dissolves shoes

Oh - when you wash them - take the insole out and let it dry separately or a cat will pee in them - yes even if you don't have a cat - they will quickly smell of cat piss!
Jan 2013
9:00pm, 1 Jan 2013
First-time poster!!
  •  
HWD73
I tend to jump in the local stream, wash them that way and then stuff them with newspaper. Then it's into the airing cupboard for them (which may be a little aggressive) but they haven't fallen apart yet (although I only keep them 12 months maximum).
Jan 2013
9:02pm, 1 Jan 2013
18,244 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
If you remove the stuffed newspaper after about an hour and re-stuff, they dry much quicker!
Jan 2013
9:04pm, 1 Jan 2013
5,144 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
I do a combination of the above - jump into the local stream as my shower can't cope with the mud and grass, then stuff with newspaper and keep restuffing. I don't put them by a radiator.
Jan 2013
9:05pm, 1 Jan 2013
18,245 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
Tumbledriers are BAD!
Jan 2013
9:13pm, 1 Jan 2013
4,072 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I washed my speedcrosses last night after running Auld Lang Syne, which was very, very wet and muddy (the stream crossing on the way back was knee deep).

They were still soaked this morning, despite being stuffed and then re-stuffed last night and placed *near* a radiator (i.e. as close as I could get them). I have real problems drying stuff in my flat.

I don't have a tumble drier, so that's not an issue.

I think part of the reason my speedcrosses have got wrecked is that I've been running through peat and I don't think I washed them afterwards. However, I think the brambles did a worse job on them.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by rf_fozzy
I'm after a bit of advice with what to do with my shoes post-run (particularly off-road/trail/fell ...