Garmin Christmas Present...virtual partner / pacer?

2 watchers
Dec 2012
4:24pm, 1 Dec 2012
213 posts
  •  
Stripes
My girlfriend has used my Garmin 405 and wants a GPS watch of her own for Christmas. She only wants a basic one that will tell her how far she has run and how fast, and doesn't gernally want or need any fancy training features, but one feature she does like on my 405 is the Virtual Partner function which tells you how many seconds ahead or behind you are given the pace you are aiming for.

The Forerunner 10 doesn't have the virtual partner function, but it does have a similar function called virtual pacer. Does anyone know how this works? I wonder if it just tells you whether you are ahead or behind target (rather than telling you how many seconds you are ahead or behind)? Oddly the next two models up, the 110 and 210, don't seem to have any pacer function at all, and the 410 is very expensive, so the 10 may be my only option...
Dec 2012
4:29pm, 1 Dec 2012
520 posts
  •  
macapple
Does it have to be gps? I have the FR60 and love it. I love the virtual training partner.
Dec 2012
4:37pm, 1 Dec 2012
226 posts
  •  
longsleighround (LWR)
There is a video at dcrainmaker.com which shows how the Virtual Pacer function works.
Dec 2012
5:02pm, 1 Dec 2012
214 posts
  •  
Stripes
Thanks for the comments. I think she definitely wants GPR, although I agree the FR60 looks good.

Thanks for the link to the video. It looks like the virtual pacer function on the FR10 is too basic as what she really like is the display on the 405 that tells you how many seconds you are ahead / behind.

It looks like I need to go for the 405/410 series (unless there are other brands which have this feature?) 405 is not as expensive now that the 410 has been brought out (though is still more than I was planning to spend) but it looks like it might be the only option...

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Stripes
My girlfriend has used my Garmin 405 and wants a GPS watch of her own for Christmas. She only wants...