Changing Gears Correctly

9 watchers
Aug 2012
6:28am, 22 Aug 2012
53 posts
  •  
southcoastclaret
I read, and then put into practice that when it becomes necessary to move from the outer chainring to the inner, you should change down on the front, and immediately change up one on the cassette. It's a similar principle to Simbil (though as I've only an 8 speed cassette 2 might be too big a jump). The difference is that I change the chainring, and then the cassette - round here it is very lumpy with lots of pretty short, but steep hills. Thus it is very hard to get into the correct gear for a hill in advance - changing into a harder gear on the cassette and then moving the chainring would be very difficult once on a tough hill.
Aug 2012
6:28am, 22 Aug 2012
54 posts
  •  
southcoastclaret
I read, and then put into practice that when it becomes necessary to move from the outer chainring to the inner, you should change down on the front, and immediately change up one on the cassette. It's a similar principle to Simbil (though as I've only an 8 speed cassette 2 might be too big a jump). The difference is that I change the chainring, and then the cassette - round here it is very lumpy with lots of pretty short, but steep hills. Thus it is very hard to get into the correct gear for a hill in advance - changing into a harder gear on the cassette and then moving the chainring would be very difficult once on a tough hill.
Aug 2012
6:57am, 22 Aug 2012
3,488 posts
  •  
Oysterboy
You need to familiarise yourself with the rules, I've only just learnt them myself.

velominati.com

Basically HTFU and stay on the big ring. :)
Aug 2012
8:12am, 22 Aug 2012
27,426 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
I do OB ;-)

On my usual course last night mainly cause my TT bike is stiff on the the change up on front. I stayed in big boy ring and pushed hard.

As Tim Don says 'overgear' work. I flew
Aug 2012
8:15am, 22 Aug 2012
27,427 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
Some good rules there and some silly ones.

I like the Mountain bike pedals should be left on MTB I wince when I see little spds on a road bike SPD-SL Rules
Aug 2012
11:55am, 22 Aug 2012
48,436 posts
  •  
Gobi
I said that
Aug 2012
12:07pm, 22 Aug 2012
27,438 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
What DL ?

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by stevep1000uk
What is the suggested method for gear changing when you need to work thru your gears when climbing ?...