shoe crisis!!!

2 watchers
OJ
Apr 2012
10:52am, 4 Apr 2012
87 posts
  •  
OJ
Sorry, pressed submit too soon and didn't say the "please, thank you, and of course I wouldn't buy shoes on the strength of interwebs recommendations, I'd try them first" bit.

Funnily enough, seeing this talk of flippers, I don't have very big, wide feet. In fact they are quite narrow and I'm about to send yet another pair of (non running) shoes back as they're like boats. It's just the forefoot width which makes them rub on the "knuckle" I think.

Sigh. Would love to go minimalist but have heard that Nike are the worst for width.
Apr 2012
11:03am, 4 Apr 2012
347 posts
  •  
Curly45
I have wide feet but wear nike lunaracers almost all the time. I just go up a size or 1.5 sizes.

I love them, but they can be difficult to get. I also buy the mens if I can get them and find them a better fit than the womens :)
Apr 2012
11:13am, 4 Apr 2012
1,798 posts
  •  
clairevmc
I can recommend Nike trainers if you need a roomy toe-box. I have skinny/bony feet but my toes are large if that makes sense so I need a bigger toe-box but not necessarily a wide shoe.
OJ
Apr 2012
11:54am, 4 Apr 2012
88 posts
  •  
OJ
Thanks both. Do you overpronate Curly45? I do, but only mildly and have never had knee problems (have had ITBS, tight piriformis, SIJ and various other things though) so running shoe shops that do gait analysis will never recommend neutral/minimal shoes. However I *feel* much better with lighter feet. I believe that there is a Nike Lunarsomethingorother which is meant to be designed for overpronators.

And snap clairevmc - I have long, thin feet to the extent that I can't wear slip on court shoes... but with a broad forefoot (I'm convinced I'm a candidate for bunions as my mum has them) and long toes which probably need room to splay.
Apr 2012
11:58am, 4 Apr 2012
348 posts
  •  
Curly45
No I am neutral :) Bit of a heelstriker hence the light shoes in an effort to further train myself out of it!

I think there is a lunarswift which is support?
OJ
Apr 2012
12:07pm, 4 Apr 2012
89 posts
  •  
OJ
Thanks. Found it.

And I know the feeling about trying to train yourself out of it. I'm nowhere near as fast as you, but I do notice that when I'm running faster (or doing XC in spikes for example) I'm much more naturally midfoot. To the point that in the latest gait analysis - the person doing it did a double take - I appeared to be a midfoot striker on one pass, then an overpronator putting her heel down on another. Surely if I have a split running personality I can choose which one to favour :~

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by olde english
lost all confidence in my shoe buying ability. any advice from people much appreciated. i ve been ha...