Diabetes and exercise

2 watchers
Oct 2011
11:41am, 27 Oct 2011
10,992 posts
  •  
Puffing Bertie
Hello all, anyone here know why my blood sugar DOUBLES after a run? its back down again 2-3 hrs later :-) but why does it happen and is it bad?
Oct 2011
11:44am, 27 Oct 2011
18,062 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Doubles from what to what, PB?
Oct 2011
12:10pm, 27 Oct 2011
10,993 posts
  •  
Puffing Bertie
from 5.5 to 10.1 on Tues and then again today from 6.3 to 12.6 !!!
Oct 2011
12:14pm, 27 Oct 2011
18,064 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
My advice in that case, provided you're not on insulin, would be to stop measuring your blood glucose after exercise as it's likely to be an artefactual result.
Oct 2011
12:28pm, 27 Oct 2011
10,994 posts
  •  
Puffing Bertie
ah ha.......I will do that Vrap

TBH the only reason I am doing it at the mo is I have to have a medical soon and I really really dont want my blood sugar to show up high, so I figured if i tested i can find out when its worst and what makes it better, so I can plan my medical with military presicion and so pass with no other tests required (I have to pay for each test)
Oct 2011
3:51pm, 27 Oct 2011
182 posts
  •  
Tabasco
Hi Bertie
It's probably a result of the raised levels of cortisol and adrenaline that you get during and shortly after a run. These hormones both make your sugars go up. In the longer term the exercise is beneficial for your glycaemic control, so I wouldn't worry about the short-term rise, especially if your fasting/pre-meal levels are good.
Hope the medical goes well!
Jun 2012
10:39am, 22 Jun 2012
9 posts
  •  
timosborn7
Hi, I am a recently diagnosed type 1 diabetic and have set up a group to share advice, tips etc please look on my profile if you would like to join. Thanks Tim.
Jun 2012
8:43pm, 22 Jun 2012
170 posts
  •  
JRitchie
Hi. Are you Type 2 ? exercise increases the absorbtion of insulin but if your body is not producing it as well as it should then if you don't have enough insulin your BG will go up. The body does not realise there is enough glucose around and will start to send messages to the kidneys to release glucose as it cannot get it from the muscles - no insulin (same happens if you are starving). Short spikes of 10 or 12 should not be a problem .... but be careful if they get higher (say 15) or stay high longer in case you get ketones. It's a careful balance of course if you are on insulin. Take too much insulin then your BG might drop too low (another more immediate problem !!). I would suggest you take some notes about when you exercise compared to when and how much carb you eat before exercise and what impact it has on your BG. I don't think it will be adrenaline - unless you jog with some hot totty !!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Puffing Bertie
Hello all, anyone here know why my blood sugar DOUBLES after a run? its back down again 2-3 hrs late...