Mountain Marathoner's group

30 watchers
Feb 2014
7:25pm, 2 Feb 2014
19,587 posts
  •  
macca53
just entered my fourth Saunders :) Hope we'll get a decent (vet adjusted) time - combined age 125
May 2014
9:10pm, 12 May 2014
775 posts
  •  
jacdaw
I've just found this thread...

I might like to do a(n?) MM next summer; it would be my first. Which event would the MM veterans recommend? I like wild country, would prefer the lakes or highlands, and would probably prefer early summer or early autumn.

I suppose it would need to be relatively easy (or at least with a reasonable likelihood of survival) as a first attempt, although I'm not a bad navigator, and I'd want to do it as part of a mixed pair. What's your favourite?
May 2014
9:52pm, 12 May 2014
19,961 posts
  •  
macca53
I'm by no means an expert but I've done Karrimor a couple of times (it's in October - usually the weekend the clocks change). The location changes every year so you have to take pot luck on location.

The Saunders is always in the lakes and in July. My buddy and I were talking about our past experiences last weeekend and our common view is that the Saunders tends to be more navigationally challenging whereas the Karrimor is more physically challenging (higher, more climbs and more challenging terrain). If you are pysically fit you could do Karrimor with no navigation at all (just follow the snake of people) whereas the Saunders usually has several route choices so the field gets split up a lot so there isn't a case of just following someone.
May 2014
11:21pm, 12 May 2014
778 posts
  •  
jacdaw
Has anybody done the LAMM?
May 2014
5:19am, 13 May 2014
1,251 posts
  •  
shanksi
Been to the LAMM twice, unfortunately no finishes. Expect big hills, great scenery, and midges. It's Scotland in summer, so weather is a complete gamble but we were fairly lucky both times.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Haggis