•  
Totriornottotri
facebook.com From the book face - two people who found love on Zwift 😂
May 2022
10:59am, 11 May 2022
2,837 posts
  •  
Reiver
I'm deffo getting fitter using Zwift, and Zwiftpower now ranks my category as Almost C, which surely means I'm still D ! However, Zwift is stopping me from entering events as a D (where I'm very competitive) and I'm getting my arse kicked as cat C. I know it will help in the long run to push me to get even fitter, but in the short term it sucks!
May 2022
9:12am, 12 May 2022
19,211 posts
  •  
Chrisull
reiver - grab it while you can. I was on border cat c/cat b. One more race would have pushed me over. So I eased back but now after another year, covid and less cycling I can't get close to cat b!
May 2022
10:06am, 13 May 2022
765 posts
  •  
Maccathecracker
Similar story here, I was quite happy finishing mid-pack of cat C Crit races but I’ve moved to B and can’t even hang on to the pack to the second bend, it then turns into a 30min solo TT. I think I’m putting out similar watts and W/kg but finishing 5 mins behind most people.
May 2022
10:18am, 13 May 2022
3,164 posts
  •  
Oranj
All the Zwift races (and some of the pack rides) start very hard but usually settle down slightly after a bit. You'll probably need to work on your ability to surge and recover. This is not an economical way to race a run which is likely why runners struggle with this aspect of Zwift racing.

That said, I'm in the middle of cat B and there always comes some point in a race where I can surge no more and end up in a chasing blob. I still get a good race out of it, just not for the podium.
jda
May 2022
10:26am, 13 May 2022
12,518 posts
  •  
jda
Yes, unless you are right at the bottom of the cat (and perhaps very light too) then you should be able to hang on up to a significant climb. My sprint is hopeless but as a fairly good B I can still start ok in the strongest A/A+ races.

People seem to race the crits particularly hard, longer races may settle down sooner.
May 2022
11:00am, 13 May 2022
766 posts
  •  
Maccathecracker
Thanks both, that makes sense. At 3.5w/kg I’m mid B but would classify myself as a novice rider so finishing 29/31 is probably a fair reflection of my ability. I’m following a workout schedule so hopefully some improvements to be made.
jda
May 2022
12:55pm, 13 May 2022
12,520 posts
  •  
jda
The other thing that may be interesting is to look for races which either use the new category enforcement system, or that have all cats together. In the former, the boundaries have changed a little (in practice, gone down) so the strongest riders in your cat will be promoted out of it, making it a bit easier. In the latter, of course you'll get dropped, but so will most people, and you'll have others to ride with/against.
May 2022
1:58pm, 13 May 2022
2,878 posts
  •  
Reiver
I managed to finish with the second group in a C race last night - because it was the flat London circuit. That would not happen if it was a more lumpy circuit. I need to work off some excess timber to improve my watts/kg. I went out and bought a HRM in order to comply with requirements to be included in results on Zwiftpower, however although I am now included, no heart rate is displayed, Any ideas why?
May 2022
2:48pm, 13 May 2022
767 posts
  •  
Maccathecracker
By chance I did the latter at lunchtime JDA. Same result, 20/21 in cat B but I was able to hold onto the main cat c pack which was much more fun than solo.

Sorry no idea Reiver, I presume it paired ok ?

About This Thread

Maintained by Dowse
For Zwifters to organise rides, discuss races and celebrate our virtual cycling world like the nerds...