Zwifters

69 watchers
Apr 2021
6:46am, 15 Apr 2021
853 posts
  •  
Big_G
(I've just re-read that and it's a load of waffle! I hope you get what I'm on about! Basically, changing bikes is a lot quicker, and timing the change of the bikes is worth considering to save a few extra seconds :) ).
jda
Apr 2021
7:37am, 15 Apr 2021
9,887 posts
  •  
jda
There’s a place shortly after you reach the gravel where you go uphill and the bike will stop quite sharply if you stop pedalling. That may be a good option for those on iPads. Agree the change is good in mass rides, not so clear if you’re in a small race and it drops you out of the group. Didn’t dare when in that situation, and neither did anyone else!
Apr 2021
7:50am, 15 Apr 2021
854 posts
  •  
Big_G
There's an A Cat rider who I follow on strava (Jonathan Crain) who also has a YouTube channel and he said the below in a comment about that, jda. But I wasn't "racing" it, as it was an easy-ish effort for me. It was an easy ride for him too, but what he said was "I think I lost more than I gained with the bike change. At least near the front no one else changed, and you lose the group when you swap and when you swap back".
Apr 2021
7:53am, 15 Apr 2021
855 posts
  •  
Big_G
ZwiftInsider has this about the different bikes and their speeds on different terrains.
zwiftinsider.com
jda
Apr 2021
7:56am, 15 Apr 2021
9,888 posts
  •  
jda
Yes I would think that if half change and half did not, the group that changed would win. But there might not be a huge amount in it and messing the change would end your chances. With a bunch of trusted team-mates it would be worth considering.
jda
Apr 2021
8:07am, 15 Apr 2021
9,889 posts
  •  
jda
BTW: I have calculated the power required to ride at a given speed on flattish terrain, as a function of rider weight and height:

julesandjames.blogspot.com

Here flattish means a flying lap of the volcano circuit, so not quite as flat as say tempus fugit which will be faster (I estimate by maybe 0.5kph) and therefore require slightly less power for the same speed, but probably comparable to many of the regular TTT circuits such as Greater London Flat and Watopia's Waistband, plus the flattish sections of those with hills in too! Anyway, it's really more for determining relative effort for different riders at the same speed (for TTTing purposes).
Apr 2021
9:21am, 15 Apr 2021
17,442 posts
  •  
Chrisull
There was a lot of chat on telling people to change at the start and mid race last night, and those who changed said how many places they gained.

I probably lost 20-30 places to some of those gainers at the end (although I did tire at the end, it's a very up down route with not much flat)
Apr 2021
9:24am, 15 Apr 2021
856 posts
  •  
Big_G
As a total aside, I actually turned the chat off, but maybe I should turn it back on. I find I got frustrated with people complaining about technical issues, and I'd rather not read all that so I turned it off.
Apr 2021
9:40am, 15 Apr 2021
17,445 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I didn't see much of that - it's normally hello and then a few messages between particular groups who are already known to each other. But the message last night to anybody about killing off the roadies on the first gravel hill definitely spurred me on (and worked).
Apr 2021
9:46am, 15 Apr 2021
10,511 posts
  •  
lammo
So what's a decent mountain bike to get?

About This Thread

Maintained by Dowse
For Zwifters to organise rides, discuss races and celebrate our virtual cycling world like the nerds...