Your next event is...

6 watchers
Jul 2020
3:29pm, 25 Jul 2020
4,485 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
If Brighton goes ahead, I may do the Woldingham Half at the end of August.

I did the full marathon three years ago and it was utterly insane. Several really steep hills and very hot. Last year's marathon winner finished in 3:54. If you don't believe me as to the hilliness, ask a local (NDW Dave).
Jul 2020
6:08pm, 25 Jul 2020
4,555 posts
  •  
jennyh
Yeah, sounds like it’s probably best not to speculate as to why the landowner withdrew consent - that is a shame Paul, especially at such short notice, but hopefully you can do it when it’s rescheduled.

Still no events as such in my calendar - however, I did have the closest thing to a real race in ages last night. One of my club mates persuaded me to enter some events in the Worldwide Masters Challenge, and while most tracks in the area are closed, there is an open access one about 20 miles away, so we met up there last night and had a socially distanced race over 400m and 800m while my OH timed us using the parkrun app. Not the same as a real race perhaps, but did feel great to be actually competing against someone else again.
Jul 2020
9:57am, 26 Jul 2020
264 posts
  •  
SooWoo
Glenmore 12/24 hour race on weekend of 5Sept
Aug 2020
9:24am, 1 Aug 2020
46,332 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Intriguing email from Beachy received this morning.

Event Status Update - 2020 Beachy Head Marathon

Over the past few months we have been working extremely hard to develop our plans inline with government advice to ensure we are in the strongest position possible to deliver the Beachy Head Marathon as restrictions are gradually eased. We have not given up hope as this is a community event that means so much to everyone involved, including our participants, sweepers, charities, community groups and of course our fabulous volunteers.

On the 3 June 2020, we decided to pause registrations whilst we awaited further guidance from the Government/ Public Health England on sporting events.

On June 10th, the UK Government made the following statement regarding the return of outdoor sport and recreation: -
‘Businesses and venues following COVID-19 Secure guidelines can host larger groups. This is also the case for events in public outdoor spaces that are organised by businesses, charitable or political organisations, and public bodies, provided they take reasonable steps to mitigate the risk of transmission, in line with COVID-19 Secure guidance and including completion of a risk assessment’

Following this, UK Athletics/England Athletics and MSO (Mass Participation Sports Organisers) produced a guidance document in collaboration with Sport England. This is to help event organisers consider what measures need to be implemented at events to fulfil their duty of care in providing a safe environment for participants to take part.

We have now had the opportunity to carefully review this guidance alongside government advice and we have developed a plan to ensure we are compliant with the latest advice. Whilst we had hoped to give you an answer on whether the event would be taking place by 1 August, this has not been possible as we are still waiting for one final permission for the forest section of the route. We have been advised that guidance relating to this section of the course will be available to us early next week, therefore we are not in a position to confirm whether the event will be taking place.

Whilst we appreciate this is extremely frustrating, we want to let you know we are doing our utmost to host this community event for you. We think it is important to share our plans so that you are fully aware of the safety measures that we are intending to implement and also so you know your options with regards to refund/deferral.

If we receive the final permissions we will implement the following measures to mitigate against the risk of transmission:

Date / start time changes to reduce overall numbers on event day:

Half Marathon moved to 18 October 2020 Start: 09:00
Marathon date unchanged (24 October 2020) Start: 08:30
10k date changed 25 October 2020 Start: 10:00

Reduced capacity event
Start line holding area moved to St Andrew’s Prep Field (18,000 m2 vs 1,300 m2)
Large start pens enabling 2m distance before race
Participants reminded not to attend the event if they are ill with symptoms or self isolating

Participants will cross the start line in small socially distanced groups

Wave start based on predicted finish time
Start pen arrival times
Regular cleaning of portaloo facilities

Increased provision of portaloo facilities

Mandatory facemasks & hand gel in sweeper vehicle (provided)
Enhanced participant code of conduct: Personal hygiene, course etiquette, arrival instructions, travel consideration and illness reporting procedure
Participants will be asked to avoid overtaking other participants and there will be sections of the course where overtaking on narrow sections will be banned
Race bib and timing chip posted out in advance

Participants will be asked to bring their own food/drink around the course. Camelbak/hydration belts are perfect for this and available to purchase on most online running stores. Bottled water will be available at water stations (UKA/Runbritain guidance) Participants must pick up their own bottle. n.b Plastic recycling will take place.

Spectators will be dissuaded - Heras fencing and scrim will be installed at the start line to prevent crowding on the start/finish line.
Participants will be asked to leave the event area immediately after finishing and meet friends and family off site.

As it currently stands we are unable to deliver the following areas due to the inability to maintain social distancing: Bag drop facility, canteen, indoor changing facility, indoor toilet, swimming pool, reduced refreshment provision on course.

What happens with bag drop and changing facilities if you are not providing facilities?

Participants are responsible for their own baggage. If arriving by car please leave personal belongings in your car. If staying at a hotel, please check whether they have a bag drop room facility.

Where do we get changed?
You will need to arrive ready for the event.

We appreciate that the event will have a different feel and whilst we don’t want to remove ‘all the fun’ we must implement these measures to mitigate against transmission.

So what are we doing to maintain the ‘fun’ aspects of the Beachy Head Marathon?

Bagpiper - Booked!

Litlington band (socially distanced) - Booked!
Sausage Rolls (individually wrapped / help yourself)
Mars Bars? Yes we couldn't get rid of the Mars Bars (individually wrapped / help yourself)

Marathon finish line food (individually wrapped pasty!)
Volunteers? The marathon wouldn't be the same without them and we are providing training and protective equipment to keep them safe.

Refund/deferral/cancellation options

We appreciate that many of you may feel anxious about participating in the event, you may have had your training disrupted due to lockdown or you may not be able to make the new proposed date (if this applies to our entry). We have carefully considered this and it is only right that we offer one of the following options to you:

Keep your entry for 2020
Deferral to 2021 event
Refund (minus registration booking fee)

In two weeks time a form will be sent to all participants asking whether you would like to keep your entry, defer to 2021 or apply for a refund. We may be able to offer the option to transfer between race categories and open entries to general sale, however this will not be known until all participants have completed the form.

We have never faced an admin task of this size before and we are working closely with our registration provider to make the process as seamless as possible, but inevitably it will take some time.

What happens if I agree to take part in the 2020 event, but it subsequently gets cancelled due to permissions, local lockdown or other factors?

You will be offered the option to defer your place to the 2021 event or apply for a refund (minus registration booking fee).

We appreciate the situation is still unclear, but we hope that by providing you with our event plans as well as all of the options available to you, that you will appreciate the continued effort we are putting in to host the event and that you will bear with us whilst we finalise arrangements.

Thank you
Team Beachy Head Marathon
beachyheadmarathon.co.uk
Aug 2020
9:25am, 1 Aug 2020
46,333 posts
  •  
McGoohan
TL;DR - they're splitting the 10K/Half/Mara over three different days and putting in different measures to limit the numbers setting off. Actually also putting up barriers to prevent spectators!
Aug 2020
9:31am, 1 Aug 2020
44,706 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
It appears (from a fairly quick skim through) the organisers are working hard to put on the BHM. Let’s hope they can delivery a safe and successful event

We have entered the full Yorkshireman off-road marathon (not dissimilar to BH actually) on Sept 13. Set up will be similar with reduced numbers etc. I’ve no idea if it’ll go ahead with the new restrictions in parts of the West Riding now in place but it’ll be good if it can be done

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
Mine is supposedly Beachy Head marathon in 159 days, having removed everything else from my race portfolio. I don't know at this stage whether it will go ahead or not.

But what do you reckon will be the first UK-based running event to actually happen?