York marathon 17/10

3 watchers
Oct 2021
4:28pm, 12 Oct 2021
First-time poster!!
  •  
Davey
Hi
This is my first question to this site, so please be kind to me.
Im running the York marathon this sunday.
Trying to save money and not paying for bus and run.
Has anyone experience of on street parking near to the university start line?
I have run this race in the past, but local authorities change parking areas on a whim!!!!
HELP?
Oct 2021
4:29pm, 12 Oct 2021
26,619 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Welcome to the forum Davey :-) I don't have any experience of York, but I just wanted to say hi.
Oct 2021
4:43pm, 12 Oct 2021
14,841 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
You could park on my drive, but looking at the road closures, you'd need to be there by 6am. If you don't mind walking a mile, plenty of street parking in fulford or heslington

The council introduced residents parking permits to some streets including ours, just outside campus at the start of term, and have been enforcing actively, so take care to observe new signs.
Oct 2021
4:46pm, 12 Oct 2021
6,981 posts
  •  
minardi
I did it in 2016 but himself dropped me off before going off to find somewhere to park. So sorry i can't help but good luck on Sunday and welcome to Fetch.
Oct 2021
1:26am, 14 Oct 2021
3,543 posts
  •  
Fenland Flier
Welcome to Fetch, I know a man who may be able to help. He lives in York. I'll point him in this direction.
Oct 2021
1:29am, 14 Oct 2021
3,544 posts
  •  
Fenland Flier
Davey, I've sent him an fmail and hope he posts later for you.
Oct 2021
11:43am, 14 Oct 2021
2 posts
  •  
Davey
Many thanks for the messages.
After taking advice from you all, I have two options, 1;Im driving from Harrogate so maybe the Poppleton park n ride

2; a town centre long stay car park , Cliffords Tower maybe, then leg it to the uni
I joined tis site on rec from the author of Its just 4 times around the village Helen Stothard. Great book.
Oct 2021
8:55pm, 14 Oct 2021
16,353 posts
  •  
MarkyMarkMark (3M)
Hi Davey,
Welcome to the thread...

I'm cycling over to the start because basically parking near the uni is going to be pretty horrible. It's bad enough that my local family probably won't try to come and watch the start or finish!

And if you do park anywhere on the Hull Rd side of the centre you may not be able to get out too easily afterwards either!

But... the uni isn't *that* far from the city centre, and if you're OK with a mile or so walk before and afterwards then if you can park on any of park and ride sites and bus to the centre that's not a bad call.

Annoyingly there isn't really a bus station and most of them stop at or near the railway station anyway, so if you're coming across from Harrogate you might as well come on the train to York station!

I'd offer you a space on my drive, but my car will be on it! I'll ping you a mail on here with my mobile if you want to chat?

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Davey
Hi
This is my first question to this site, so please be kind to me.
Im running the York marathon this sunday.
Trying to save money and not paying for bus and run.
Has anyone experience of on street parking near to the university start line?
I have run this race in the past, but local authorities change parking areas on a whim!!!!
HELP?