Yoga Thread-to compare experiences and get advice

94 watchers
Sep 2021
10:12am, 16 Sep 2021
129,375 posts
  •  
GregP
I've been taking a block to class the last few weeks to stick under my bum when sitting cross-legged. It's really helped.
Sep 2021
10:18am, 16 Sep 2021
15,384 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Here's my question.

How do you get to the stage where you can sit cross-legged on a block (or two)?

Or to the point where you can kneel comfortably - even sitting on a block and not bum to ankles?

The latter in particular feels like my knees are being pulled apart, and it's not comfortable even with blocks, cushions or whatever else. Plus the pressure on my ankles is not comfortable either.

This is why I say Yoga is for bendy people only. The barrier to even the most basic of things is too high and there's nothing to get to the point where you can do basic things.
Sep 2021
10:29am, 16 Sep 2021
14,175 posts
  •  
Badger
For the kneeling, maybe try working up via extended child's pose? For me that helped with the ankles without putting as much pressure on other joints.
I have a couple of thoughts on the cross-legged bit but prefer to leave that to more expert people.
Sep 2021
11:24am, 16 Sep 2021
15,385 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
This one?

doyogawithme.com

No chance I can get into that shape!

Kneeling like that isn't possible.
Sep 2021
11:55am, 16 Sep 2021
16,072 posts
  •  
Garfield
Start up higher, with a cushion between your legs and bottom? Or have a towel under your knees if padding is needed if hard floor...
Sep 2021
11:58am, 16 Sep 2021
16,073 posts
  •  
Garfield
Sit on a higher/bigger pillow to start off with rf_fozzy? Try keeping the hips higher than the knees. Maybe start sitting on edge of chair with knees down.
Sep 2021
12:07pm, 16 Sep 2021
16,074 posts
  •  
Garfield
You might benefit from some hip flexor stretches...from a low lunge, shift weight forwards so that the back leg's flexor is stretched out well?

Re the ankles - they get used to it with time - my sprained ankles used to have a hard time too but they have recovered. They're too floppy for their own good until I sprain them then lose range of motion in them when they recover from the sprain/twist.
Sep 2021
12:35pm, 16 Sep 2021
79,615 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Shall I create a little session for tight hamstringed and hipped runners?
MH
Sep 2021
12:52pm, 16 Sep 2021
881 posts
  •  
MH
I'd go with all the modications that you can with blocks and supports as Garfield has suggested.

You may get closer to the 'ideal' but you may not - what is 'ideal' anyway? Sitting cross-legged for some is never going to be possible due to their hip anatomy - no matter how much they practice
I take your point about Yoga being for 'bendy' people, although take on board that moving into a hyperextended pose (which, if you are hypermobile, you can easily do) isn't necessarily a good thing for your joints....
That said, most runners do benefit from some yoga.
Sep 2021
1:08pm, 16 Sep 2021
14,176 posts
  •  
Badger
That'd be fab, Hanneke.

It's easier then it looks, fozzy, and you don't have to bend the knees any further than you're comfortable with; it's not like kneeling where your body weight really pulls at them. I don't look like that when I do it...

About This Thread

Maintained by plodding hippo