Yesterdays Hull 10k

2 watchers
May 2013
11:43am, 20 May 2013
162 posts
  •  
Carlos Fandango Jnr
Do you know that they hadn't done a "risk" assessment? It would be hard to have an alternative for every eventuality. Cows in the road, bridge collapse, unwanted puddles... the possibilities are infinite.
May 2013
11:46am, 20 May 2013
10,419 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
Craig...just how would you have re-routed the course to get an accurately measure 10K alternative in this situation?

I'm confident that there was a full risk assessment taken with all potential risks logged, and where possible mitigated...the course/route of the Hull 10K meant that it was not possible to run an alternative 10K and that moving the finish line an extra 1K when a race is in progress is probably a little too much to realistically expect. The organisers did the only thing they could do (and this was probably documented in the risk assessment), they took a diversion to avoid the bridge. I'm sure the option wasn't taken lightly, hence the 15 minute delay at the start, however it was a more palatable option than just cancelling the race.
May 2013
12:06pm, 20 May 2013
10,420 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
@Carlos..."It would be hard to have an alternative for every eventuality. Cows in the road, bridge collapse, unwanted puddles... the possibilities are infinite."

I've written a risk assessment for taking our juniors off site running...it was a 40 plus page document.! It's amazing what comes out of the woodwork when you start writing up risk assessments.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by minardi
forallevents.co.uk

I've just seen this and although I didn't do the r...