Yesterdays Hull 10k

2 watchers
May 2013
9:18am, 20 May 2013
1,875 posts
  •  
minardi.
forallevents.co.uk

I've just seen this and although I didn't do the race and have no intention of doing this race, are people really paying £28 for a 10km? :-o Or even, £28 for a 9km race!
May 2013
9:32am, 20 May 2013
337 posts
  •  
Craig_
Not again...

The 2012 Hull marathon course was changed at the last minute as well (due to health & safety reasons...) meaning everyone who had trained, paid and ran the race couldn't use it as an 'official' time - for GFA's etc... Do organizers not have contingency plans for this sort of stuff...?
May 2013
9:47am, 20 May 2013
1,298 posts
  •  
trendy runner
I ran it and was most disappointed when they announced just before the start that the course had to altered by 1km. I was hoping to beat my time last year and get another 10k pb so for me it was a waste of time getting up early, travelling etc not to mention hard motivating yourself along the route knowing your chance of a pb didnt exist. The organisers were quick to send an email to all participants apologising and offering the £10 place for next year which is more than we got for the Hull marathon last year. However this doesnt take away the feeling of being short-changed this year. I have reminded myself that worse things happen in life and this is something to shrug off and not obsess over - there's always another race another day.
May 2013
10:30am, 20 May 2013
1,966 posts
  •  
Grid
The For All events are expensive. However, they are very, very popular and generally very well run.
May 2013
10:56am, 20 May 2013
161 posts
  •  
Carlos Fandango Jnr
Aren't they also charity fundraisers? To some extent anyway.
May 2013
11:01am, 20 May 2013
1,967 posts
  •  
Grid
Very much so.
May 2013
11:02am, 20 May 2013
10,417 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
I wouldn't confuse the organisers of the 'Run for All' events with those who <cough> 'organised' the infamous Hull marathon. From what I gather there was a mechanical failure with a bridge which was out of their control. The organisers did well to re-route the course at such short notice...those who 'organised' the Hull marathon were a complete and utter set of bleeps, whom should NEVER be allowed anywhere near an event again.
May 2013
11:06am, 20 May 2013
978 posts
  •  
FreshStart
I feel sorry for the race organisers. Imagine spending the year organsing such a large event and then having something totally out of your control happen on the day which means that you have to alter your event. Imagine then having to deal with all the complaints from disgruntled runners.

If the event is raising money for charity then I wouldn't mind paying £28. I imagine a lot of the costs of big events now go towards road closures, policing the event, insurance?
May 2013
11:18am, 20 May 2013
10,418 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
having done a UKA Race Directors course I know just what is required to put on a race and I can tell you, most people would never get involved in organising an event if they knew just what obstacles have to be crossed. Since doing the course I have a new found deep respect for those individuals and organisation who do put safe events on.

I think the 'Run for All' team are right up there with the best in the UK...I would imagine that they tried to move heaven and earth before adjusting the route. At least the runners got to run 9K and have a substantially reduced race entry for next year...anyone remember this years Brass Monkey? No race, no refund..
May 2013
11:31am, 20 May 2013
338 posts
  •  
Craig_
Fair enough - more bad luck than incompetence in this instance...

My only point would be why race organizers don't undertake a risk assessment of the course, identify any potential issues (bridges, floods etc..) and have some sort of back-up in place - a mini diversion or a repositioning of the start/finish line etc.?

With both the Hull races, having a system in place whereby the course could be remeasured post-race by the authorities to confirm the length (in emergency/H&S cases) would also seem fairly simple and solve a lot of problems...

About This Thread

Maintained by minardi
forallevents.co.uk

I've just seen this and although I didn't do the r...