X-training during marathon preparation

1 watcher
Dec 2014
1:25pm, 10 Dec 2014
11,433 posts
  •  
colettedeann
I hate cross training but as it is suggested on most training programmes as beneficial, I have decided to man-up and just do it

- question is - do i have to stick to same x training exercise, or can I choose a different one each week?
Dec 2014
1:27pm, 10 Dec 2014
11,091 posts
  •  
Ultracat
Find a x training activity you enjoy? Pilates is good.
Dec 2014
1:34pm, 10 Dec 2014
23,439 posts
  •  
Merry Christmas & HappyNewG(rrr)
Doesn't have to be the same. And how much and how hard will normally be covered in your training plan (if it's a proper plan, from a book and everything - maybe not if it's just a list on a web page or from the Fetch training DB - not always fully annotated then!)

For instance, Furman is quite strict about what cross training, how much, how hard. Whereas others are more vague. Most will say not to overdo it and it's just a bit of extra aerobic activity, but not with the weight bearing and impact of running.

The other thing all plans say is to do core, strength and stretching, but many people miss these out too. Something like Pilates would combine these.

So that's a really long way of saying the same thing that UC said, up there ^^^!

Actually, I do cross train AND core/strength/stretch as separate e.g. bike, swim or row as cross train, then Pilates, Bodypump or weights for core/strength and Pilates/yoga for stretch. :-) G
Dec 2014
1:43pm, 10 Dec 2014
11,436 posts
  •  
colettedeann
thanks UC and G :)

G - would you do the core and x-training on same day?
Dec 2014
3:34pm, 10 Dec 2014
23,442 posts
  •  
Hmm, yes, usually, but that's a convenience thing, because I do them in the gym that I'm a member of.

I think you can combine stretch, abs and foam roller (which I do as much of as I can) with anything. Run, bike, swim, row or anything else.

And I can combine run with swim. And run with upper body is fine.

But I don't like doing upper body and swim (cos it makes my shoulders ache!) Nor bike and run (though the triathletes do it!).

Not sure that helps! If you build up to it, you can do all of these things together - like I say, the Tri guys do it all! Swim and bike. Bike and run. Swim and run. :-) G
Dec 2014
3:51pm, 10 Dec 2014
11,446 posts
  •  
colettedeann

just went and nosed at your training log - will try to sprinkle a few more colours in before my schedule kicks in so i can kinda get into a core/xtraining habit :)
Dec 2014
4:08pm, 10 Dec 2014
2,439 posts
  •  
Curly45
Two things I have discovered about cross training:
Make it part of your routine if you can (cycling to work etc)
Go to a class - its worth the cost and you wont do it at home (I have tried loads of times)
Dec 2014
4:45pm, 10 Dec 2014
11,451 posts
  •  
colettedeann
good advice for me curly :) - i do a lot of walking as i dont drive and don't really like the bus- i usually forget to log it as x training - i suppose i because i don't see it as cross training but just a normal everyday thing
Dec 2014
9:03am, 11 Dec 2014
23,449 posts
  •  
Walking is good cross training for ultra running/slow marathoning. But you have to be doing it hard enough to sweat. An amble for 30 mins, where your heart rate barely rises and you aren't sweating, isn't training, imho. It's better than sitting on couch, but not much!

I agree about classes or commuting to "force" you to do it. I might start going to swim club again because (as you could see from my log) I've done far too little recently. Swimming is soooo good (I don't enjoy it much though!) :-) G
Dec 2014
9:06am, 11 Dec 2014
3,525 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
I'm a huge fan of cross training my only issue is why it took so long for me to recognise the value.

About This Thread

Maintained by colettedeann
I hate cross training but as it is suggested on most training programmes as beneficial, I have decid...