Writing a will.

16 watchers
Oct 2022
2:51pm, 21 Oct 2022
18,515 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
As someone who works for a charity that does benefit from generous gifts in wills. Where disputes arise (they are quite rare thankfully, and we have never been involved in one), the charity trustees are obliged to defend the interests of the charity by the Charity Commission - so whilst yes it can be a messy business, they often feel they have no choice.
I would urge everyone to write a will - intestacy is complex, there are strict rules that are applied about surviving relatives and final result if there is no-one found would be the state (or in the Duchy of Lancaster, the monarch).
If you want a proportion of your estate to go for charitable purposes (which can also help offset/avoid Inheritance Tax) you can also let your executors decide on the actual charities based on your favoured good causes if you aren't sure. Residuary shares are often favoured as a simple way to ensure that your gift retains a degree of value, when a pecuniary gift might be worth a lot less than you intended. You can also index link a pecuniary gift as another way of trying to do that. Where a solicitor draws up your will they will generally make a provision that if a charity no longer exists their share either goes to an equivalent/similar or that their share is divided between any remaining charitable beneficiaries.
Oct 2022
2:53pm, 21 Oct 2022
18,516 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Sorry - one other point! Choose your executor carefully - it's quite a big ask for a friend/family member; some solicitors are terrific, some are appallingly slow - and will make quite a lot of money out of the process.
Oct 2022
3:21pm, 21 Oct 2022
2,632 posts
  •  
Ally-C
Sorry - one other point! Choose your executor carefully - it's quite a big ask for a friend/family member; some solicitors are terrific, some are appallingly slow - and will make quite a lot of money out of the process.

I asked my cousin as she has a law degree & is younger that us. It seems like quite a lot of work though.
jda
Oct 2022
12:23am, 22 Oct 2022
13,601 posts
  •  
jda
It would be reasonable for them to be paid a fee for their efforts, though they may waive this especially if a significant beneficiary.
Oct 2022
3:58pm, 26 Oct 2022
2,661 posts
  •  
Ally-C
I think that’s the POA & executor sorted.
Nov 2022
3:07am, 22 Nov 2022
2,758 posts
  •  
Ally-C
Had our wills signed & witnessed the other day. Only the final check to go & that’s it sorted.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Ally-C
We’ve no children, I’ve a sister who only has step children I’ve no real bond with or animosity tbf & my wife has a brother who had no kids.

Tbh, all of the above are fairly comfortable & we’d rather leave anything to charities than any distant claimants. There’s a decent chance we’d out live our siblings too.

Anyone been in the same boat? I’m thinking animal or hillwalking associated charities with any living relatives getting a token amount.

Even if we blow our pensio...