Would you stick this in the Fetch race finder?

5 watchers
Mar 2013
9:27am, 26 Mar 2013
2,891 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
My new club run a monthly 10km handicap race. Without wishing to get into the whole "what is/isn't a race" snoozefest, they call it a race on their website, and I will be treating it as such.

So it's a race, of sorts, but I guess is only open to club members or those thinking of joining up. Not that I think they would physically restrain a random should they turn up and politely ask if they could run. And you don't pay a fee, as you are a member.

So I guess I would just log this in my training as "race" but not actually put it on the Fetch race section. I think I have answered my own question. I don't even know why I am remotely bothered about it. Maybe I just want my race page to be bigger.
Mar 2013
9:29am, 26 Mar 2013
12,001 posts
  •  
Nick Cook
I put the handicap as a 'race pace' run Ben.

PS. I had heard they weren't allowed to call it a race for insurance purposes, so it's called a time trial! :-)
Mar 2013
9:30am, 26 Mar 2013
12,002 posts
  •  
Nick Cook
They don't physically restrain non-members, but if they keep turning up without joining, it is suggested to them that they might like to join!
Mar 2013
9:31am, 26 Mar 2013
2,892 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Aha, I shall immediately annoy my fellow-members on Sunday by demanding to know why the word "race" is used on the website then.

Or not ;-)

Race pace sounds ideal, shall use that, thanks.
Mar 2013
9:34am, 26 Mar 2013
12,004 posts
  •  
Nick Cook
I won't be there on Sunday having done the Maidenhead Easter 10 on Good Friday, and then spending the Sunday at the Mother-in-Law's!!
Mar 2013
9:48am, 26 Mar 2013
2,893 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
I didn't think I was going to be, but Googlemaps has the start 8 minutes drive from me, so I have managed to swing a morning pass for 90 minutes :-)
Mar 2013
10:04am, 26 Mar 2013
3,711 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
as usual, if you race it, it's race, it's up to you.
Mar 2013
10:37am, 26 Mar 2013
3,409 posts
  •  
paul the builder
People put far less serious stuff in the race calendar than that, so go ahead if you want. With my righteous pedant hat on - unless it's an officially measured, marked, marshalled course etc. then you should put NO in the Offical PB race section.
Mar 2013
2:57pm, 26 Mar 2013
2,556 posts
  •  
Garfield
Interesting...too bad it's a little too far from me to go to regularly. Let me know how the club goes though Herbert!:)
Mar 2013
3:04pm, 26 Mar 2013
2,897 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Will do, and yes, I do like the sound of this whole handicap thing. I think they shift the course start point over the summer so it might become closer to you.

Will keep you updated on the club progress. I know some of them are members of Woking as well.

About This Thread

Maintained by HermanBloom
My new club run a monthly 10km handicap race. Without wishing to get into the whole "what is/isn't...