World Marathon Majors - a 6 star quest

31 watchers
Oct 2021
8:31am, 12 Oct 2021
15,708 posts
  •  
larkim
I see Shalane Flanagan is going for all 6 this year (with a bit of an asterisk against Tokyo).

She's already done Berlin 2:38, London 2:35, then this weekend it was Chicago 2:46 and Boston 2:40 the next day. Tokyo has to be virtual unfortunately, but then New York in early November. Nice challenge, and good to see she is running them with a good bit of pace, rather than cruising around in 2:50-3:00.
Oct 2021
12:20pm, 12 Oct 2021
793 posts
  •  
Rog T
That is quite impressive - particularly the Chicago Boston back to back. Shame she couldn't get Tokyo as well.

Mine will be spread out over a number of years - allowing bank balance recovery in between 😃
Oct 2022
7:18pm, 3 Oct 2022
361 posts
  •  
mattglen_
Did anyone run London yesterday? Congrats to those that did.

I've entered the ballot for next year. Becoming an annual tradition now.
Oct 2022
7:20pm, 3 Oct 2022
362 posts
  •  
mattglen_
I haven't followed too closely the situation with the other races. Perhaps time for an update to the description now races are getting back to their regular dates and entires. Unless there's still a knock on effect from covid?
Oct 2022
3:39am, 4 Oct 2022
927 posts
  •  
Rog T
Apologies for lack of updates here. My own interest in the marathon majors has cooled a great deal since covid and an injury has removed me from Chicago start line this year. Not even sure I'll be doing any marathon again now. I'm off on holiday for a week now but will aim to come in and update the sidebar/description with current information upon my return.

If anyone fancies taking over thread ownership, please shout up.
Oct 2022
8:15am, 4 Oct 2022
22,157 posts
  •  
DeeGee
That's bad news Rog, recover well.

I'm feeling really nervous about the whole weekend coming up. I don't know why. I've run marathons before, traveled abroad to run before - my last marathon before this was a foreign one about three weeks before lockdown - but for some reason for the first time in a long while I'm worrying about oversleeping and missing the start or not being able to finish within cutoff. I've trained well enough - three 30k runs in the preparation, but they're a lot slower than I'm used to.
Oct 2022
8:22am, 4 Oct 2022
2,050 posts
  •  
Big_G
(First time poster here, having only done London and Berlin, but I’ve got a place for Boston next year, and the 6 stars is kind of a goal).

Best of luck DeeGee. It’s not the same, but I was quite nervous for my first foreign marathon after all the Covid stuff. But I found I got back into the swing of things quite quickly. Of the majors, which one is this for you then?
Oct 2022
8:41am, 4 Oct 2022
22,159 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I've done London three times and Berlin twice, so this is number 3. I've hopefully got a backdoor entry into New York next year as well - need to complete a virtual marathon at the beginning of November for that one.

It's just a long way to go, and a long time away from my family, to mess up. And as someone who once started a 5k race in a different direction to the marathon I'd entered which was starting 10 minutes later, I'm going to be in panic mode until I get to at least half way, I think.

Did you qualify for Boston next year? That's good going! 10 years ago I was probably in that sort of form, but the relentless pursuit of 100 marathons, then taking a few years out of proper running to have a go at fatherhood has rather killed my pace.

I was considering putting in the Tokyo ballot this year, but having read the race regulations, I decided it was all still a bit too onerous, so I'll try again next time round.
Oct 2022
9:25am, 4 Oct 2022
943 posts
  •  
Maccathecracker
Another 1st time poster. I ran London on Sunday and a few times previously so at 1/6 *.

Sorry to hear that Rog T. I’ve had a few injuries where I’ve thought, can I really get back to where I was before ? Fingers crossed for you.

DeeGee, I burn quite a few matches with travel (even domestic) so I think I know the feeling. Good luck in Chicago.

Big-G I’ve a place in Boston too, though the small matter of New York next month before that.

For info, Berlin lottery is open until 17th Nov I believe, my name is in the hat.
Oct 2022
9:42am, 4 Oct 2022
2,051 posts
  •  
Big_G
Dee Gee, I’ve done London twice and Berlin once. Yeah, I qualified for Boston. It’s actually easier than London as for my age group it’s 3:20 for a Boston Qualifier and 3:10 for London. I did 3:06 at Seville in February so got into Boston although I’m still waiting to see if my time is good enough for London 2023, where we find out at the of this month. I’ve booked refundable hotels etc on the assumption I’m doing Boston followed by London.

Doing the 100 marathons is tough. It is a different challenge, for sure. My 3:06 was my 98th marathon in February, and then I was very glad to get the other 2 done (since then I’ve mainly been injured, which is a worry when booking a pricey such as Boston!).

Don’t know if you’re into running YouTubers, but Kofuzi has last night put out a Chicago video for first timers. There is nothing particularly revolutionary, except try and get to the expo and start area early, and GPS is unreliable for the first few miles.

Macca, I love London but for me I think I preferred Berlin. Best of luck in the ballot - that’s how I got in for 2019’s race, which was my first attempt at trying so I was lucky. I think it’s roughly a 1/3 chance for Berlin allot, isn’t it? New York is the one I really want to do, but I’m not quick enough to qualify at the moment. Possibly at some point I may go down the tour package route. We shall see.

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
All things relating to any or all of the 6 World Marathon Majors.
Last 6 majors, Wall Of fame:

-Boston: 17 April 2023, (Big_G: 3:41:36, Maccathecracker)
-London: 23 April 2023 (Big_G: 4:06, Maccathecracker, mattglen_: 05:01:14).
-Berlin: 24 September 2023. (Maccathecracker)
-Chicago: 08 Oct 2023. (Big_G: 3:52; Foxy)
-New York City: 05 November 2023 (DeeGee, Rossco Peeko, Maccathecracker.)

-Tokyo: 03 Mar 2024 (Big_G: 3:58:40)

Upcoming:

Boston: Mon 15 Apr 2024. Qualifying Window from 1 Sep 2022 until Sep 2023. No ballot. Time qualifiers, tour operators and charity only. 2024 race cutoff 5:29.
London: Sun Apr 21, 2024. Ballot odds 4-6%. Ballot closed. Ballot results known. Charity entries still available.
Berlin: Ballot window, 28th Sep-16 Nov. Odds have been about 3:1 in the past for this.
Chicago: Sunday October 13 2024, Ballot opens Tuesday, Oct 17, 2023 for 4 weeks.
NYC: Ballot open now.

worldmarathonmajors.com

****** - JenLove, KeithL, Becca7, Ian5, Foxy [Congrats all!]
***** Big_G
**** - Mrs Jigs, Jigs
*** - Trin, DeeGee
** - jabberknit, Rog T, Maccathecracker,

* -

Packages with guaranteed entry: sportstoursinternational.co.uk
209events.com