"Work" shoes

2 watchers
Jun 2015
8:13am, 3 Jun 2015
16,550 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Interesting one, maybe? The staff dress code where I work demands smart leather shoes for all staff. Fortunately as a gentleman there are not an awful lot of different styles available.

I spend much of the beginning of my week recovering from my weekend's escapades, walking on blisters and stretching out stiff legs. I'm looking for a shoe which is comfortable. Possibly cushioned, but which looks smart enough for me to wear in either a pay appraisal or disciplinary hearing with the Chief Executive, and won't make me look like a failed middle-aged geography teacher.

Chaps, do any of you have a smart shoe that you really love and can heartily recommend? It's daft that I'll spend upwards of a ton on running shoes, but normally grab some shit off the shelf in Brantano for the shoes I wear all day every day.
Jun 2015
8:27am, 3 Jun 2015
1,212 posts
  •  
Fitz
How about a pair of Doc Martens shoes? If you get a pair without the yellow stitching around the sole then they look pretty "normal", they're all-day comfortable and pretty much last forever.

Sadly no longer made in UK but not too expensive and downright cheap on a per-mile basis as they pretty much last forever!
Jun 2015
8:28am, 3 Jun 2015
1,213 posts
  •  
Fitz
I've used the word "pretty" too many times there.
Jun 2015
8:32am, 3 Jun 2015
16,551 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I get the Doc Martens thing. I still own a pair of the boots from pretty much 20 years ago. Tried wearing them here once, unfortunately. No dice, at least in boots form.

Problem is, having had the boots overridden, I'm a bit reluctant to risk the shoes.

I used to wear DM shoes to school, though, at a place with a far stricter dress code than this. Clever use of polish can eliminate the yellow stitching as well. That's one to consider...
Jun 2015
8:33am, 3 Jun 2015
6,510 posts
  •  
Binks
I wear these. Easy to slip on and off again, sometimes wear them without socks too. The wife even lets me be seen out of the house with her when wearing them!

marksandspencer.com
Jun 2015
8:46am, 3 Jun 2015
344 posts
  •  
jdarun
DM shoes are just shoes with quite a fat sole. Can't imagine they would cause objections. I used to wear some at school (where there was a reasonably strict uniform policy).

More recently I like the Merrel slip-on Jungle moc, which I started wearing a lot in Japan (useful to get shoes on and off easily).
MH
Jun 2015
8:52am, 3 Jun 2015
293 posts
  •  
MH
I bought my OH some M&S black slip-ons - they are a bit more formal than the ones that Binks suggested, but he does wear them. He has 12/13 feet and hates wearing shoes in general, but he will wear those. Otherwise Clarks have some reasonable ones (although one or two styles venture in to Geography teacher territory)
and yes, I bought my OH his shoes :-) he asked for help as all he could see online were 'clown shoes' (pointy shoes on size 13 feet is an interesting look...)
Jun 2015
9:12am, 3 Jun 2015
9,473 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Very sadly, I have a air of those M&S ones, very good, comfy,pretty much, don't last that long though. They're not "wor" shoes, just shoes as I onlt have trainers/walking boots otherwise, pretty much.

Am I a DM's fan, so I need to be punished though, so get DMs.
Jun 2015
9:15am, 3 Jun 2015
11,364 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
What I love is trainers and I belong to what in Germany is the Trainer Generation. However, second-best is various offerings from Clarks. Some of them definitely have the air of the failed geography teacher, but not all. Mind you, they're 10 years old, so this year you may not be so lucky.
Jun 2015
9:19am, 3 Jun 2015
19,295 posts
  •  
HellsBells
Ecco - the ladies range are extremely comfortable, can't speak for the mens

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
Interesting one, maybe? The staff dress code where I work demands smart leather shoes for all staff....