Woof! Bark! And also Whiiiiiiiiiine.

104 watchers
Jul 2021
8:27pm, 14 Jul 2021
1,984 posts
  •  
Roberto
And then we revert to normal. Just flew at me and caught my arm. Don't know where it came from. But I could tell something wasn't right. He had settled down much earlier than normal.
Jul 2021
9:02pm, 14 Jul 2021
13,604 posts
  •  
Ultracat
Sorry to hear that Roberto. I have been reading the guides in a Facebook forum called Dog Training Advice and Support, sorry not sure how to link it, plenty of great tips and advice and dog behaviourists to answer any questions once you have read the guides.
Jul 2021
11:01pm, 14 Jul 2021
35,270 posts
  •  
halfpint
Try not to lose heart Roberto. It takes many repetitions for a new habit to form. Maybe go back to the step that was working successfully for a while. Take time to reflect on any tiny things that might have been different tonight.
Jul 2021
11:02pm, 14 Jul 2021
35,271 posts
  •  
halfpint
Ernie isn’t much of a reader. He prefers socks and scarves but only for carrying around the place.
Jul 2021
11:26pm, 14 Jul 2021
1,295 posts
  •  
RooA
Behaviour will never change in a straight line, Roberto. I'm more genned up on pure training than on behaviour modification but I always remember the concepts of extinction bursts and training Ws.

You often get an intensification of unwanted behaviour that you are training out before it disappears completely. The behaviour was "working" for the dog until you start the BMod training... it doesn't just give up, his first response is to try harder at the behaviour that works (imagine your behaviour if you didn't get an item out of a vending machine when you press the button). That is an extinction burst. You just have to hold steady in your plan of action.

I'm not sure of the cause of training Ws but it's just an expression of how things take a while to sink in and there are ups and downs of understanding on the way.

With dog that is going over threshold like your chap there are so many possible influencing factors in how his stress levels may have been affected through a day which could just mean his bucket got unexpectedly full. So I wouldn't read to much into it.

Hold steady. Go back a few steps and trust the process that you have been given as it has made initial progress and that is good. Often people start trying to change stuff or intensify efforts at the first set back. I think it is better to just calmly carry on as you were... at least at first. Perhaps reflect on if anything has been different today and whether anything could have caused a bit more stress bucket filling than normal.
Jul 2021
8:11am, 15 Jul 2021
1,985 posts
  •  
Roberto
We did, went back upstairs at 9 and restarted the process we were using a month ago (well my partner did, I was on edge so thought best to stay upstairs). Got a nice tooth mark in my arm.

And I'm part of that group as well UC. It's got some good advice.
Jul 2021
9:27am, 19 Jul 2021
35,310 posts
  •  
halfpint
Ernie has developed a mysterious limp. Every time we take him for a proper walk he lifts one of his back legs and doesn’t want to put it down. Yet when we go to the beach in the morning he will chase a stick and tear about like an idiot. I’m assuming it’s to do with the surface or type of movement. We had to leave him home yesterday whilst we went up a couple of Munros.
Jul 2021
9:11am, 20 Jul 2021
1,304 posts
  •  
RooA
Could it be luxating patella, halfpint? Is Ernie a terrier or another smaller dog? They tend to be prone to it and it causes on and off lameness. I believe it is not painful for them, just a mechanical issue. I think.
Jul 2021
9:16am, 20 Jul 2021
7,902 posts
  •  
Alice the Camel
That’s interesting Roo - our Charlie often lifts his left back leg and hops. I shall do some reading up!
Jul 2021
9:19am, 20 Jul 2021
5,128 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
And Frankie (shih tzu cross) does the same!

About This Thread

Maintained by Sharkie
Support thread for owners of puppies.
Well, why not?

Now including All Matters dogdogdogDOG dogdogdog