Woof! Bark! And also Whiiiiiiiiiine.

105 watchers
Dec 2020
6:33am, 1 Dec 2020
2,038 posts
  •  
PenW
That’s good to hear Roberto.

How much time do people spend with their puppies? I’ve started putting him in the pen. I try to play with him and train him several times through the day and also leave him to his own devices which he isn’t so keen on. He cries and I don’t go in when he’s crying. It makes you feel so guilty though!! But I’m tired and I also need to show him I have other stuff to do (and can’t do it only when he sleeps!)

He is starting to chew his toys independently now which is good (for short periods) :-)
Dec 2020
8:01am, 1 Dec 2020
1,506 posts
  •  
Roberto
From day one we used time in his crate to get him used to being left. Started with only 20 minutes or so and built it up. When we got past 30 mins, we got him a pen.

Arlo is quite happy now if we ever need to go out even for 3 hours. When first left he barks a couple of times and thats all. Even though I'm at home most of the time now, I still put him in his pen and give him time by himself every day, even if I'm still home and he just sleeps in it. He used to cry in his crate and bite at it, but we got him a bigger one and persevered and now he just lies down in it and goes to sleep.
Dec 2020
8:03am, 1 Dec 2020
1,507 posts
  •  
Roberto
We also put him in his crate when we sit down at the table for dinner, and he cried and cried constantly for months. But that seems to have just stopped and he just lies down now after finishing his snuffle mat or kong.
Dec 2020
10:15am, 1 Dec 2020
18,756 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Ralph's breeder used crates and the pups shared one with a playpen, so having a crate and pen with a blanket that they gave us seemed the way to go and he took to it readily.
We - and I have no idea why - always said "five minutes" to him if we left him alone in the room and then in the house and that seemed to be code for "it's OK they're coming back"
If I ever went out without saying that, the kids would tell me he wouldn't settle and kept looking for me to come back again.
So, having a key phrase that you always use when you leave pup might help.
Dec 2020
10:31am, 1 Dec 2020
8,512 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
We always do the same routine for Wanda when we leave her. She has a kong that is only ever given to her when we go out and taken away again as soon as we return (it doesn't even have very much in it these days just some kibble - it's more for the routine/familiarity) and I always say 'won't be long, just a few minutes'. We also started from day one leaving her alone in another room in the house while we were elsewhere and she slept in the kitchen at night so it was easier from that respect (of course she wasn't a tiny puppy either when we got her.) The main difference though I think was that being in a comfortable bed in a quiet kitchen was so much less stressful for her than the noise and barking at Battersea and she always has loved a comfy bed as her favourite place so from that respect it was one of the few things where she was quite easy!
Dec 2020
10:40am, 1 Dec 2020
6,451 posts
  •  
Wobbling
Lickimats are brilliant for ensuring Boots doesn’t miss us when we go out (doesn’t help me tho, I miss him when I’m not with him). We smear them with yogurt and freeze them.

We took him to the doggy playground again today. Although it’s enclosed, it borders a footpath so a number of dogs walked past. He was interested but showed no fear or aggression and came away when I used the squeaker. Early days still but there is definite marked improvement.
Dec 2020
11:49am, 1 Dec 2020
12,786 posts
  •  
All I want for Christmas is Woo
That's very good to hear, Wobbling :)
Dec 2020
12:04pm, 1 Dec 2020
9,382 posts
  •  
Mazlin
Boots is doing so well.

I have friends who give their collie a kong before they go out. One day they put the kong down, but forgot to tell her she could have it. They got home and it was UNTOUCHED...that is one well trained dog!
Dec 2020
12:19pm, 1 Dec 2020
6,452 posts
  •  
Wobbling
Wow Mazlin! A collie tho, I wouldn’t put it past a collie to empty a kong and then fill it up again.
Dec 2020
12:21pm, 1 Dec 2020
33,347 posts
  •  
halfpint of mulled cider
I’ve just had to do a 10 minute beach visit because I have no time for a proper walk. Dog walker from yesterday text 5 mins ago to ask to borrow him. Total life saver.

About This Thread

Maintained by Sharkie
Support thread for owners of puppies.
Well, why not?

Now including All Matters dogdogdogDOG dogdogdog