Womens tri suits

3 watchers
Feb 2013
5:50pm, 28 Feb 2013
First-time poster!!
  •  
fonch
Does anyone recommend a women's tri suit? I'm doing my first tri in June. It's a sprint distance with a pool swim.
Feb 2013
8:36pm, 28 Feb 2013
540 posts
  •  
Jubear
orca suits on the start fitness are nice, functional and true to size, the more mile ones are cheaper but I have no experience of them. I did my first couple of Tris in tight shorts and a close fitting running vest, including the swim.
Feb 2013
8:48pm, 28 Feb 2013
255 posts
  •  
beebop
Do you know you can get 10 percent discount at start fitness with fetch? - see Shopping Partners box over on the right. I got some very cheap tri stuff there, plus bits and pieces, but forgot all about the discount, sadly.
Mar 2013
11:50am, 1 Mar 2013
3 posts
  •  
fonch
Thank you Jubear and beebop will look into orca ones and start fitness.
Mar 2013
11:59am, 1 Mar 2013
2,319 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
Hi fonch, the Orca suits or tops and bottoms are good and relatively cheap from start fitness. The tops and bottoms are good as you can get some more wear out of the bottoms on bike rides.

You can do a tri in a swim suit and put shorts/t-shirt on in T1, but tri gear dries out really quickly and t does feel nice to have the proper kit and you'll be faster in transitions.

You'll find loads of help and advice on the basic questions thread: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=18301
And a slightly more ecclectic range of discussion on the 22o tri thread: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=14192
Or scroll back through some of my blogs :-)

Hope you enjoy your training and first tri.
Mar 2013
12:19pm, 1 Mar 2013
6,949 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
Ooh, this is opportune as I am doing my first tri this year and was wondering what to buy to wear :)
Mar 2013
5:57pm, 2 Mar 2013
4 posts
  •  
fonch
Thanks Scribbler- will check all that out. Good luck Mrs Winkle. where are you doing your first tri?
Mar 2013
7:25pm, 13 Mar 2013
25 posts
  •  
icelandic trigirl
Good luck! I did my first last year (see my pic for my fetching Orca shorts and top combo). I'd recommend two pieces, not an all in one, but that is because I always need to pee loads before a race. On the other hand, a once piece won't untuck at the back when you are tumble-turning (I presume it's a pool-swim) and then flap about. (I should have probably bought a size smaller but it was mail order and it was too complicated to try it on and send it back in time, being abroad.)

If you are remotely busty or have had kids, you'll probably need a sports bra too (don't believe the "built in support") but you need to look for a one piece microfibre typy thing so it doesn't become waterlogged in the pool. My mum bought me a very cheap one in Lidl and it is perfect! But I also have a black one from decathlon that does the job. The main thing is, you don't want the kind with the fasteners or anything with cotton.

A lot of the ladies up this way also use 2XU.

And I probably shouldn't let you in on the secret, but google Roylessports and look for the "clearance" section. It will take some rummaging to find the right thing in the right size, but if you aren't top fussed about style, you can get 50% off retail price for last year's models.

BTW hurts like fuck if you crash the bike wearing little more than a glorified swimsuit :( I still finished the bastard though!
Jul 2013
9:04am, 3 Jul 2013
54 posts
  •  
SlowSteph!
I bought one of those cheap more mile from Start for OW practice. Think they're £30 in the sale at the min and for that price you can't go wrong! Even the inbuilt support works a treat (and I'm a 32D), and the chamois is comfortable on the bike and run. It's actually pretty flattering too.
But if you want to treat yourself I've just bought a Castello suit which is just lovely. It's rear fastening so will probably be a right pain to race in, but I actually feel good in it! I'm a size 10 but pretty curvy (boobs, hips and thighs) and most suits are too tight around the thighs giving me extra lumps where I don't need them! And too tight around the boobs but this suit is lovely!! Hey, if you're going to finish last you can at least do it in style!
Jul 2013
9:04am, 3 Jul 2013
55 posts
  •  
SlowSteph!
Should say that was a reference to me finishing last rather than you Fonch!!!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fonch
Does anyone recommend a women's tri suit? I'm doing my first tri in June. It's a sprint distance ...