Women

12 watchers
Nov 2012
2:31pm, 27 Nov 2012
14,883 posts
  •  
sheri3004
Well, there are lots of people, women and men, who are very adept at thinking up excuses not to exercise....

I suppose it depends how much you want to do it. If you really want to you *can* get past the fears and anxieties, but it can be hard to take that first step. Support and encouragement of others certainly helps.

If women-only events, or any other types of events, help people to do that, then I'm all for them.
Nov 2012
3:11pm, 27 Nov 2012
263 posts
  •  
Mave
Towpaths can be more initimidating! You're alone in the middle of nowhere with the idiot who stands in the path leering at you making crude comments.

Maybe women runners should start submitting to everydaysexism.org to show how much and how regularly we have to put up with this kind of behaviour. I'm not saying men don't get the odd catcall. But I know women, myself included, who get some crude comment, kerb crawl or leering on NEARLY EVERY SINGLE RUN they go on.

Nellers and Exile have finally said what I've wanted to say all along.

These events are just trying to redress the historical 'women don't do sport ' attitudes which are still prevalent today, provide a comfortable and safe environment for women to get out there and try it, and are aimed at women because they are. There actually are men only events, they're just not so popular and country-wide.
Nov 2012
3:13pm, 27 Nov 2012
264 posts
  •  
Mave
Towpaths can be more initimidating! You're alone in the middle of nowhere with the idiot who stands in the path leering at you making crude comments.

Maybe women runners should start submitting to everydaysexism.org to show how much and how regularly we have to put up with this kind of behaviour. I'm not saying men don't get the odd catcall. But I know women, myself included, who get some crude comment, kerb crawl or leering on NEARLY EVERY SINGLE RUN they go on.

Nellers and Exile have finally said what I've wanted to say all along.

These events are just trying to redress the historical 'women don't do sport ' attitudes which are still prevalent today, provide a comfortable and safe environment for women to get out there and try it, and are aimed at women because they are. There actually are men only events, they're just not so popular and country-wide.
Nov 2012
3:21pm, 27 Nov 2012
23,264 posts
  •  
Nellers
There was a headline on the radio news this morning that Jess Ennis thinks girls are put off doing sport because of the fear of getting too muscular.

Did they not see how many blokes were ogling Jess this summer?
Nov 2012
3:28pm, 27 Nov 2012
3,292 posts
  •  
The Teaboy
I was. And I bet everyone else was too. And most of the women.
Nov 2012
3:30pm, 27 Nov 2012
48,100 posts
  •  
Puddington
I was. I was thinking 'pffffft, you look alright I suppose'
Nov 2012
3:31pm, 27 Nov 2012
22,462 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
If that's what Jess Ennis comes up with when she dabbles in thinking, I would encourage her not to give up the day job :P
Nov 2012
3:40pm, 27 Nov 2012
4,931 posts
  •  
fleecy
Hm, yes, quite V'Rap. I'd *hate* to look like Jennis :) Actually, I think I'd rather look like me, I like food too much to sacrifice it for zero body fat.
SPR
Nov 2012
3:41pm, 27 Nov 2012
17,685 posts
  •  
SPR
TBF I've heard that comment made before, and I've seen people on here same women look manly due to muscle.
Nov 2012
3:43pm, 27 Nov 2012
48,101 posts
  •  
Puddington
I gave my In-Laws a copy of this [IMAGE] thinking they'd just be pleased for me. They were horrified, made a comment about my being muscly and most certainly didn't put it up anywhere in sight.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
These people keep emailing me. I thought some of you might be interested :-)

Women only events an...