•  
The Teaboy
+1 what NE said.
Nov 2012
1:21pm, 27 Nov 2012
48,098 posts
  •  
Puddington
I am glad you are my friend, Mr. Exile :-)
Nov 2012
1:26pm, 27 Nov 2012
9,880 posts
  •  
Mikuro
NE I have seen women with full make up in the gym before... :-o
Nov 2012
1:26pm, 27 Nov 2012
1,933 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
BTW, I know of at least one male-only event. I can't find it right now, but I think it was done in support of a prostate cancer charity somewhere in the York area.

Actually, just found something on the York Knavesmire Harriers website:

yorkknavesmireharriers.co.uk
Nov 2012
1:31pm, 27 Nov 2012
10,695 posts
  •  
Yorkshire Pie
I used to share an office with someone who went to the gym after work. At the end of the working day she'd get her hair straighteners and make up bag out and tart herself up for her workout :-o
Nov 2012
1:35pm, 27 Nov 2012
23,258 posts
  •  
Nellers
I have to say the "where are the male only events" brigade piss me off a bit.

In my experience no-one laid on women only events other than womeen who wanted these events to happen. If blokes are so bothered they should get off their arses and get somethign sorted themselves, or just shut up and stop bloody moaning.

If women only events are a gateway into running for some women then great. If they only ever encourage women who wouldn't otherwise have run to just do women only events then great, at least they're getting the opportunity.

Ideally I'd want all the mixed events to be welcoming to everyone regardless of gender (or ethnic origin or sexual orientation etc). I still found turning up to races a really intimidating experience when I was starting out, and I'm a big ugly bloke joing a field of mainly other big ugly blokes. It must be doubly hard for a woman to push her way into the sweaty mass of men that is the start of a local 10k without feeling a bit ...........well, odd-one-out.

And on being competitive, I rarely (if ever) have finished in front of the first lady in an event. Doesn't bother me at all. They're faster than me and they're in the race. That's how races work, see. There's old blokes beating me too. Same thing. Well done them.
Nov 2012
1:40pm, 27 Nov 2012
48,099 posts
  •  
Puddington
Nicely put, Nellers.

Most gyms have 'ladies' areas too. Clearly, though not for everyone, it is an issue for plenty and there is a market for women only events / situations.

It's for their inclusion, not the exclusion of men.
Nov 2012
1:51pm, 27 Nov 2012
2,658 posts
  •  
Mountain Cat
I think some people just like having a moan and claiming that they're disadvantaged and being discriminated against.

If we were talking about people being barred from some kind of important opportunity, I'd understand, but we're not. Some races have entry criteria - the requirement for R4L is that you're a woman. If you're not a woman, well there are hundreds of other 5ks out there every year, just pick one.
Nov 2012
1:55pm, 27 Nov 2012
699 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
My wife says I'm an old woman because I moaned about getting wet through (again) - can I do R4L?
Nov 2012
2:09pm, 27 Nov 2012
4,923 posts
  •  
fleecy
Hm, I do wonder though how much of it is an excuse by women not to exercise. You do get fucking sick of it: 'ooh, I'd love to exercise but blah blah blah my thighs wobble too much' or some such shit. Get out the fucking door and do it and you'll find your thighs wobble less! Maybe if they were less self-conscious they'd have more confidence, as a runner you do attract attention but after a while you learn to ignore it, or you can go off-road and have a path to yourself. Not much wolf-whistling on towpaths :) Namby pamby excuses for not exercising really piss me off, the people I admire most in the gym are the women built like heffalumps, bloody good on them I say! It must require a huge amount of courage to be many stone overweight and to exercise, but if it's the difference between having an early heart attack and getting diabetes or attracting a few funny glances, I know which one seems the most sensible option.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
These people keep emailing me. I thought some of you might be interested :-)

Women only events an...