7 watchers
Feb 2014
4:32pm, 7 Feb 2014
4,284 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
I assume everyone will get their emails, but just in case:

"Dear Runner

We regret to inform you that the race has been cancelled due to flooding on several parts of the course. This decision was made following an inspection of the route by the Race Referree, Race Director and several members of the committee.

At present there is deep flooding on Darvill's Lane and Islandstone Lane with no demarkation between the highway and ditches. In addition, Hinton Road, Hungerford Lane, Broadcommon Lane and Broadcommon Road are also flooded with some of these roads now closed by Wokingham Borough Council.

We can assure everyone that we did try to overcome these issues and even arranged for a small diversion to the course to be implemented following the initial reports about Islandstone Lane. Further information can be found on the following website http://www.wokingham.gov.uk/communities/emergency/.

Can we ask that all entrants return their timing chip in its prepaid envelope to Sports Systems. The chips are not disposable and are owned by the Wokingham Half Marathon.

Unfortunately we are unable to offer any refunds and this is stated within your race pack. However, all entries will be carried forward to 2015 race.

Again we can only apologise for having to make this decision, but in the end there really was no alternative. We hope you enjoy your Sunday and look forward to seeing you in 2015.

Regards

Peter Evans. Chairman of the Organising Committee.
"
Feb 2014
4:34pm, 7 Feb 2014
806 posts
  •  
Kenny_Boy
Oh Arsequakes!
Feb 2014
4:42pm, 7 Feb 2014
1,324 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
well, f*ck a duck. I was definitely going to PB as well. Definitely!
Feb 2014
4:43pm, 7 Feb 2014
3,907 posts
  •  
Zehnderboy
Bugger, missing my beer *sulks*
Feb 2014
5:01pm, 7 Feb 2014
19,921 posts
  •  
BigChiefRunningBore
Phew I was going to duck out anyway
Feb 2014
5:02pm, 7 Feb 2014
8,907 posts
  •  
Keefy Beefy
This has worked out perfectly.
Feb 2014
5:06pm, 7 Feb 2014
19,922 posts
  •  
BigChiefRunningBore
*high five*
Feb 2014
8,908 posts
  •  
Keefy Beefy
The wife sent me a text this saying "Just found a race number for Wokingham HM. You're wasting more money on races you're not doing?"
Feb 2014
8,909 posts
  •  
Keefy Beefy
I had no comeback... till now :-)
Feb 2014
5:10pm, 7 Feb 2014
11,461 posts
  •  
Naomi P
Hooray, I don't need to feel guilty about being totally out of PB shape now :-) Not that I intended to feel guilty anyway.

Sorry for those disappointed of course. Let's hope they re-run it in better weather, it's a cracking race.

About This Thread

Maintained by Naomi P
There are 72 Fetchies down to run Wokey. Who's up for a well-earned pint and some lunch post race?