Wobble board for ankle strengthening

1 watcher
Oct 2013
7:21am, 9 Oct 2013
859 posts
  •  
Mother Duck
i just stand on it, on 1 foot in the middle. I hold onto something and balance the best I can..then i get better at it. Then i change feet. I do this for maybe 5 mins.
Oct 2013
6:24pm, 9 Oct 2013
7,519 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Wobble boards can be a bit daunting at first. When I got mine I thought I'd never be able to even climb on it! Start on both legs and just see how long you can balance for. You can soon progress to one leg

A good tip if you don't have access to the board or simply afraid of falling off is to try standing on a rolled up towel. You won't fall off that and it's very effective in its own right. If you can put your board somewhere there's a mirror you'll be surprised how much your leg muscles are 'working' as you balance

A nice exercise is to make the shapes of the letters of the alphabet with your 'spare' leg when standing on one leg. Closing your eyes makes any balancing work much more difficult :-O
Oct 2013
6:40pm, 9 Oct 2013
27,625 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I'm rather with Fozzy on this one. I used to know someone who was so skilled on the wobble board that he could stand on it while he was washing the dishes and never be at any risk of toppling over, yet had absolutely no confidence in the ability of his ankles to cope with even the easiest of off-road terrain.
Oct 2013
6:44pm, 9 Oct 2013
12,248 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
I sprained my ankle and used a wobble board by balancing on one foot in the middle. I couldn't do it at the beginning but after a month or so I could do quite a few seconds, so I would stay stick with it. I felt it really benefitted me and made the ankle strong again.
Oct 2013
7:13pm, 9 Oct 2013
6,980 posts
  •  
Chicken Licken
Hubby sprained his ankle ages ago, he fell off a kerb and went right over on it , he used a wobble board for a few months, he said it helped him no end, he got some exercises from a local physio I think....

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by RevBarbaraG
2 months since I sprained my ankle, and although I am able to run fine, I'm aware the ankle is weak...