Winter Sports kit for kids - advice please

5 watchers
Sep 2012
4:02pm, 7 Sep 2012
85 posts
  •  
mushroom
Hi

My 6yo boy is continuing with rugby training this season. Last winter, if it was cold and wet, they went inside the local sports hall for the Sunday morning training. This year his age group haven't got that luxury. Therefore I need to get him some suitable warm and waterproof kit.

I'd welcome some advice on what others have found to be a good mix of practicality and value (a typical 6yo, he might just pack it all in if the weather gets too bad!), and the best places to buy. I have a Skins top for my own winter running, but their range is possibly aimed at slightly older kids.

Thanks in advance!
Sep 2012
4:27pm, 7 Sep 2012
65 posts
  •  
Vicky W
Our daughter plays football, and last winter we bought her a Nike baselayer long-sleeved top off M&M direct to wear under her normal training kit.

It seemed to work pretty well and she certainly didn't go blue with cold/melt from sweat.

We also got her some kalenji running tights from Decathlon which went nicely under her footie socks and shorts.

I can't remember how much we paid - sorry - but do know that it wasn't a lot as a) we couldn't afford to and b) we too had concerns about her packing it in/growing out of it overnight!

She was 9 by the way, so not much older than your lad.

Good luck to him anyway and hope he keeps it up :-)
Sep 2012
4:34pm, 7 Sep 2012
5,036 posts
  •  
lammo
pfft

shorts and a t shirt when i were a lad, and you were grateful.
Sep 2012
12:51pm, 11 Sep 2012
88 posts
  •  
mushroom
Thanks Vicky, I'll look into those.

Lammo - I went right through primary school without owning any long trousers - I still have (fond?) memories of red raw knees and welly-top chafing in the cold weather!
Sep 2012
1:02pm, 11 Sep 2012
13,209 posts
  •  
halfpint
I want to keep my boy cycling as much as possible through winter so will be watching this thread with interest.
Sep 2012
3:13pm, 11 Sep 2012
350 posts
  •  
NickyNoo
Last winter Primark did some thermal, wicking tops/bottoms. I got some for bike commuting, also got my husband some for work and a work colleague got some for her son for playing rugby - cheap and brilliant. We both went and bought more, i only bought tops though!
Sep 2012
3:17pm, 11 Sep 2012
12,871 posts
  •  
sioUx
Primary stuff seemed quite good and good value.

Lidl and Aldi worth watching too. They do sporty stuff and base layers at times too.
Sep 2012
3:20pm, 11 Sep 2012
13,211 posts
  •  
halfpint
I get a lot of stuff in aldi/lidl for myself. The boy has thermals from there that make him look like a ninja - he loves them and they keep him cosy too :)
Sep 2012
3:26pm, 11 Sep 2012
12,872 posts
  •  
sioUx
Yeah, I use their stuff too. In fact the running socks from Aldi have been fab.
Sep 2012
3:47pm, 11 Sep 2012
66 posts
  •  
Vicky W
Of course - I use Aldi for my kit so will start keeping an eye for things for Mini too - thanks all :-)

Like the idea of turning her into a footballing ninja :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by Mushroom
Hi

My 6yo boy is continuing with rugby training this season. Last winter, if it was cold and wet,...