Winter running gear.

4 watchers
Sep 2012
2:35pm, 23 Sep 2012
3,051 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
My running gloves were craft £5 ones. I've had them for years. They let the water in and out. Absorbent gloves are important if you don't blow snot rockets.
Sep 2012
2:53pm, 23 Sep 2012
2,981 posts
  •  
Vancouver Jogger
I run in N London so doesn't get really cold. [I have one of those electronic weather stations with an outdoor sensor so I know exactly what the temperature is outside and what that means for me in terms of layers etc etc]. Mostly got by with long sleeve top (saucony hi viz thicker), shorts (until around 0*C then tights), 2 buffs - one on the head the other round the neck, and gloves. You mentioned iPhone user fingerless gloves - I have Hilly gloves which have a special pad on the index finger finger tip to allow you to use a touch screen device and have a warm finger. If it's wet I have a rainproof jacket - which can go armless.
Sep 2012
9:54pm, 23 Sep 2012
56 posts
  •  
longwayround
+1 for Buffs. Be careful of imitations: I find that most cheap copies aren't long enough to be used as a hat (or pirate scarf if you want to pretend you're Marco Pantani)
Sep 2012
10:01pm, 23 Sep 2012
2,644 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Essentials:

Pertex windproof (the best £30 you can spend on kit), Buff (so versatile), cheap gloves, cheap hat, wool socks (Pete Bland, Running Bear or Hilly navy blue ones)

Nice to haves:

OMM Kamleika smock, Powerstretch tights, decent head-torch, Merino top - Cotswold have some good deals on at the moment ;-)
Sep 2012
10:29pm, 23 Sep 2012
12,737 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Oh yeah. Wouldn't be without my headtorch for my commute. That was a cheapie as well. Alpkit.

What's Merino like on? I'm wary of it, being wool.
Sep 2012
8:01am, 24 Sep 2012
2,646 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Alpkit headtorches are ace. I bought a new one recently and reckon it's brighter than my previous one. Merino is very comfortable. The beauty of it is that it doesn't pick up smells like synthetics. You could probably get away with wearing one for a few commutes between washes
Sep 2012
8:18am, 24 Sep 2012
12,743 posts
  •  
DeeGee
That's very tempting. I had to carry out some extreme laundry recently when I opened the bag that contained all my Hellys. Thank goodness for this stuff: tesco.com
Sep 2012
8:27am, 24 Sep 2012
2,647 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
cotswoldoutdoor.com

I'm going to get another one soon I think
Sep 2012
8:30am, 24 Sep 2012
12,746 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Nice!

*Hunts for club card"
Sep 2012
8:32am, 24 Sep 2012
2,648 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
needlesports.com

These don't come out very often but are ace if you get caught out in some really bad weather :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by Beanie Boat Nici
I realise it's been lovely weather (in London) but I am thinking ahead here and need some thoughts....