Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Windproof Mitts - Do They Exist ?

5 watchers
Nov 2013
8:49pm, 28 Nov 2013
361 posts
K5 Gus
I suffer from cold hands running in the winter, or more precisely cold fingers.

Tried loads of gloves of various materials and thicknesses, but would really like a simple pair of windproof mittens, but I can't find any.

There are :-
a) windproof gloves, with a nylon covering that goes over the individual fleece fingers to look like a mitten ( but the fingers can't get heat from each other )
b) sort of half gloves that have "fingers" up to the knuckles, then a single fold over big flap that goes over all the finger ends ( these look a bit better )
c) proper mittens but in really thick padded material like ski mittens.

What I want is a simple windproof fleece material ( eg Gore Windstopper ) mitt, where I can touch all the fingers together inside to get heat from each other.

Anyone know of such a thing - been looking at lots of on-line running shops and outdoor shops, but can't see anything exactly like I want.
Nov 2013
9:06pm, 28 Nov 2013
539 posts
kjtindall
Gus. I suffer too. Never found yet a satisfactory thing (toes too :-() End up using normal gloves.
Nov 2013
9:10pm, 28 Nov 2013
13464 posts
Meglet
Not the same things, but my ski gloves are a glove with separate fingers inside, and a mitten outside. They are incredibly warm.

Take a look at cycling gloves perhaps, they do windproof/waterproof. I notice there are some on SportPursuit this week.
Nov 2013
9:17pm, 28 Nov 2013
8782 posts
Kif-Kif
Sports Pursuit have sale on SealSkinz gloves and one is a mitten. I know they're cycling gloves but my pair are darn warm.
Nov 2013
9:18pm, 28 Nov 2013
362 posts
K5 Gus
kjt - wearing a long sleeve t-shirt when it's -10 might help you ;-)

Meglet - yeah looking for something a bit lighter, and less bulky than padded ski type gloves/mitts, but that's the sort of thing I use at the moment, then I can't work my watch, or get a gel out of a pocket, etc
LBM
Nov 2013
9:22pm, 28 Nov 2013
466 posts
LBM
I checked out loads of reviews on how to deal with cold hands and finally settled on a pair of Buffalo Mitts. They've been absolutely great for me. You can always wear a pair of thin thermal gloves underneath if you wish so that when you have to take one Mitt off midrace your hands aren't exposed to the cold. I have never felt the need to use the thermal gloves as well though. Buffalo Mitts are just great on their own.
LBM
Nov 2013
9:25pm, 28 Nov 2013
467 posts
LBM
buffalosystems.co.uk
LBM
Nov 2013
9:29pm, 28 Nov 2013
468 posts
LBM
..and here outdoorsmagic.com
Nov 2013
9:36pm, 28 Nov 2013
5846 posts
rf_fozzy
Sealskinz - waterproof = very warm for running.
Nov 2013
9:55pm, 28 Nov 2013
363 posts
K5 Gus
Thanks guys - will check out the buffalo and sealskinz ones

About This Thread

Maintained by K5 Gus
I suffer from cold hands running in the winter, or more precisely cold fingers.

Tried loads of gl...