WI in the 21st Century

4 watchers
Jun 2022
4:20pm, 6 Jun 2022
33,065 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Random post!

My mum has been a hermit since Feb 2020 and showing no signs of changing her ways.

I was wondering has anyone any experience (family or own) of the WI? There is apparently one fairly close by (too close to use distance as an excuse). I did mention it but she seemed to think it's all old ladies etc so I'd like to present a modern view to try and encourage her out.

TIA
Jun 2022
4:26pm, 6 Jun 2022
1,172 posts
  •  
Sam Jelfs
No idea about the WI, but my mother does a lot with the U3A u3a.org.uk
Jun 2022
4:28pm, 6 Jun 2022
33,066 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
fab I'll have a look
Jun 2022
4:40pm, 6 Jun 2022
39,666 posts
  •  
Night-owl
Not me but someone I used to work with does a lot locally. I could ask her
Jun 2022
4:43pm, 6 Jun 2022
39,668 posts
  •  
Night-owl
Just thought does this local WI have a Facebook page they'll be photos on there you can show your mum
Jun 2022
4:59pm, 6 Jun 2022
36,026 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
Interesting post, thanks Pix. You prompted me to look up my local WI. When we moved here 30 years ago there was an evening WI and an afternoon one, for women who preferred not to go out at night! That eventually folded (I suppose as the oldies died off!) but the evening one is still going. Looking at their facebook page, and associated photos, I'd say the women look mainly to be in their 60s. There are the usual random speakers (this month's is someone talking about the history of hats) but they also have two book groups and a walking group, and what looks like a ladies who lunch group too!

I don't think it's for me (it clashes with choir for one thing) but if I didn't have running and choir, and if I were on my own, I might give it a go.

My Mum was a stalwart WI member, being President of her local one at one stage, and went to their AGM at the Albert Hall. She took the campaigns they champion very seriously.
Jun 2022
8:17am, 7 Jun 2022
28,990 posts
  •  
HellsBells
Cambridge has several active WI groups. I went to a few meetings, the age range was 30’s upwards with a good spread. There were some interesting speakers at the evening meetings with a strong emphasis on social justice. There’s a craft group who meet once a month, a walking group and I can’t remember what else. I must look into going back now I have a bit more time
Jun 2022
1:43pm, 8 Jun 2022
22,206 posts
  •  
Ness
My sister’s MiL goes to a WI local to me, Pix and really enjoys it. Her daughter goes along sometimes too. They seem to do some interesting stuff.
Jun 2022
2:46pm, 8 Jun 2022
4,677 posts
  •  
Elsie Too
My mum does some U3A stuff and this week she has decided to give the village WI a go. She tried the WI about 5 years ago and decided it was "full of too old women". She thinks that a lot of them have died since so is going to try again - but she says she doesn't have high hopes for it.
Jun 2022
2:50pm, 8 Jun 2022
33,114 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
thanks!

About This Thread

Maintained by EvilPixie
Random post!

My mum has been a hermit since Feb 2020 and showing no signs of changing her ways.

I was wondering has anyone any experience (family or own) of the WI? There is apparently one fairly close by (too close to use distance as an excuse). I did mention it but she seemed to think it's all old ladies etc so I'd like to present a modern view to try and encourage her out.

TIA