FishEveryone: the Fetchland swimming wire

95 watchers
Jan 2020
3:39pm, 9 Jan 2020
16,439 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
Aye, until it doesn’t count properly. You’re welcome to yours.
Jan 2020
4:04pm, 9 Jan 2020
13,245 posts
  •  
richmac
Pushing off is also a perfect chance to enhance your glide technique.

Also it's a chance to do that wiggly under the water getting propulsion without taking a stroke thing that 'proper' swimmers do, which also kills your Abs.

And tumble turns which can make you look either a total nobber or amazeballs.
Jan 2020
4:09pm, 9 Jan 2020
9,399 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Is there a decent (cheap) watch or similar that does count laps properly? I often lose count.

OW is easy - Garmin in towfloat.
Jan 2020
4:11pm, 9 Jan 2020
5,778 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
I think I've got my glide technique nailed :-) Blindcider - sorry, I don't agree - getting back up to "swimming speed" is part of my training package and a cramp-inducing megashove away from the wall is, in my opinion, a bit delusional. If I can be arsed to wear a noseclip I'll do tumbleturns and every now and again I'll practice dolphin kicks, but for my day-to-day swimming I don't bother.
Jan 2020
4:55pm, 9 Jan 2020
351 posts
  •  
blindcider
Fair enough, my push-off is not huge either and my glide off the wall is rarely more than a couple of metres.

FWIW I can do Tumbleturns but tend to resurface lost in another county so prefer the simple touch turn. i noticed on Wednesday (as discussed in my blog from that day) that I lose an ever increasing amount of time on the turn as I get more tired during the session.

From my experience in the pool there are two camps of people who do tumbleturns. The first lot are absolute pool monsters doing 100s in under 90s or swimmers who do the worlds slowest tumble turn rotating slower than continental drift. The second set are also often the same person who plows up and down the lane 3 or 4 seconds slower per length than everyone else and who blindly ignore the toe tapping and queue forming behind them.
Jan 2020
5:56pm, 9 Jan 2020
5,779 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
I am very conscious of my speed in the water compared to others, I was swimming on Monday with a semi-pro triathlete and she was so much faster than me it was embarrassing. I had to really work to ensure I kept out of her way.
Jan 2020
6:09pm, 9 Jan 2020
16,567 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
My pool is a but shit and only split in 2

Anyone doing lengths is in one lane
13 of us on Monday
I'm not fast and can do 3 lengths to one old boy's 1
We have back stroke swimmers
Side way swimmers
Super quick
Those wanting to practice butterfly!

It's a nightmare
Jan 2020
8:13pm, 9 Jan 2020
352 posts
  •  
blindcider
My condolences Pixie. Pool lane etiquette is the one thing that could turn me into a serial killer
Jan 2020
8:15pm, 9 Jan 2020
16,568 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Several of us have said that the pool should have more lanes but they say they can’t as it’s only 9m wide

But they could easily do it!

Good ow practice mind!
jda
Jan 2020
8:48pm, 9 Jan 2020
6,084 posts
  •  
jda
Ours is 20*7 and works fine with three lanes.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
A bit of TI, a bit of SwimSmooth, a lot of Fetchie support, advice and bants

---

Thread Bookshop:
* The Swimming Drill Book: waterstones.com
* SwimSmooth: waterstones.com

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.