FishEveryone: the Fetchland swimming wire

4 lurkers | 95 watchers
Jan 2020
1:49pm, 9 Jan 2020
7,583 posts
  •  
CStar
Angus, your last post describes me exactly :-) I think I'm lazy with my feet/toes too. Will try and focus a bit on my foot position. I suppose it's a balance between a relaxed style and clenching the calf muscles tight to get the foot as flat as possible.
Jan 2020
2:02pm, 9 Jan 2020
1,334 posts
  •  
Love Lettuce
There are lots of very useful posts on this and the open water thread today, thanks for the contributions!

CStar's comment about clenching calf muscles sparked a thought: I often get cramp in my calves and toes towards the end of a long pool swim, but never during a sea swim. Could calf clenching be to blame? The movement is much more repetitive in a pool.
Jan 2020
2:24pm, 9 Jan 2020
13,242 posts
  •  
richmac
Probably cause of calf cramp is pushing off from the ends, which why you don't suffer in oW.
Jan 2020
2:28pm, 9 Jan 2020
5,777 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
I always think that pushing off hard from the pool ends is a bit of a cop-out, yeah it's important in pool racing but in training you're there to swim, so I don't overdo it.
Jan 2020
2:43pm, 9 Jan 2020
349 posts
  •  
blindcider
The counter to that NE is that in turning you are having to re-accelerate back to swimming speed which you wouldn't in an open-water swim so its less of a cop-out than you might consider.

Incidentally I used to get cramp a lot, it has mostly gone away as I have improved my streamlining and kick more from the hip now. N=1 anecdote of course and YMMV
Jan 2020
3:06pm, 9 Jan 2020
20,318 posts
  •  
TRO Saracen
An issue with open turns is that you can grab an extra load of oxygen comfortably

, and thus can swim with poor breathing technique and in slight oxygen debt by using this extra at each turn to top up and keep things (just) sustainable.

Once you're in OW (or even a 50m pool) this catches you out after a while.
Jan 2020
3:18pm, 9 Jan 2020
16,565 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
also watches use the acceleration created by pushing off the wall to "lap count" so you have to do it properly!
Jan 2020
3:33pm, 9 Jan 2020
16,438 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
I have Opinions about pool watches.
Jan 2020
3:35pm, 9 Jan 2020
16,566 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
oh yeah?
Saves me counting! I lose count easily
Jan 2020
3:39pm, 9 Jan 2020
350 posts
  •  
blindcider
Swim clocks measure in seconds not weeks and sundials don't work indoors so I need a watch to give me any idea on my split times.

With my agricultural swim style my Suunto ambit seems to gain one length in 20 and my Garmin swim seems to lose 1 length in about the same timeframe which is my biggest problem. The 3 devices (Ambit/swim/310xt) I use for different sports at different times all have the lap button in a different place causes me the biggest problems.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
A bit of TI, a bit of SwimSmooth, a lot of Fetchie support, advice and bants

---

Thread Bookshop:
* The Swimming Drill Book: waterstones.com
* SwimSmooth: waterstones.com

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.