FishEveryone: the Fetchland swimming wire

95 watchers
11 Apr
9:21am, 11 Apr 2024
35,827 posts
  •  
Sushi.
Northern Exile I was talking to the Beeraps when they visited last weekend about the lack of pools in Cumbria.

It's ridiculous! Swimming is a life skill as well as a great sport.

Round me most of the pools are in centres attached to the local High school.

Means the swims are very much round school times as well as lessons and clubs but it seems to work well.

CasB thanks for the tip. I often do 800m sets so I'll switch to 600m on Sunday.

Tgough this morning I did 250m sets as my arms seemed to have stayed at home.
11 Apr
9:26am, 11 Apr 2024
35,828 posts
  •  
Sushi.
I passed through Kytra Locks this morning but Cullochy Locks looked such a nice spot to spend the day watching the boats go by I decided to stay here instead of pushing on to CP7

11 Apr
9:37am, 11 Apr 2024
68,513 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
My ears were burning :-O

When we lived in Birmingham our local pool was thirty-three and one-third yards long. It's no longer in use, though the building still exists, but a more modern leisure centre with a 25m pool has been built.

In our wider area we've lost two good pools in the last few years (Maryport and Keswick) and our nearest pool is an independent 20 yard pool in Wigton (8 miles away) which is permanently on the brink of running out of funding. If I swam as an actual sport rather than to maintain a life skill it would be highly frustrating.
11 Apr
10:06am, 11 Apr 2024
10,233 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
The aforementioned 20m pool (in Settle) is also under significant threat of closure. They have a charity shop in town that supports it, however they're always short on Monday. They are attempting to diversify with other sports classes, but they're overpriced and people just won't go if it doesn't represent reasonable value for money.
11 Apr
10:07am, 11 Apr 2024
10,234 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Grrr. Monday = money
13 Apr
6:52pm, 13 Apr 2024
27,274 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
It's ridiculous! Swimming is a life skill as well as a great sport.
I heard that the Royal Navy are scrapping the entry requirement to be able to swim. Apparently something like 1 in 3 kids in England leave school without being able to swim.
13 Apr
7:38pm, 13 Apr 2024
35,857 posts
  •  
Sushi.
Angus Clydesdale Sadly, I can see this. I know I am biased towards swimming but it is important.
13 Apr
8:20pm, 13 Apr 2024
67,523 posts
  •  
LindsD
That's awful.
13 Apr
9:02pm, 13 Apr 2024
21,883 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
It's hardly a surprise - I suspect most schools don't do swimming lessons any more. Partly because many of the local swimming baths have closed.

Thus like many other sports it becomes a preserve of the wealthy and middle classes.

Even when I went to school, although we got some LA swimming lessons through primary school, this didn't continue and if I'd been interested in it as a sport, then there was no pathway information given out or perhaps even available.

Given that the cricket club I initially tried as a junior told me to go away after one session, hallamshire harriers told me I was not quick enough and too old (at about age 10) after one session, these types of things could put people off.

If I weren't so stubborn, I'd have probably not picked up any sport. But it also explains why I only started running properly at age 26

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
A bit of TI, a bit of SwimSmooth, a lot of Fetchie support, advice and bants

---

Thread Bookshop:
* The Swimming Drill Book: waterstones.com
* SwimSmooth: waterstones.com

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.