Why do I never get pbs anymore?

6 watchers
Dec 2013
1:49pm, 15 Dec 2013
281 posts
  •  
becky f
I've just ran a 10 k race and really thought I would get a pb haven't had on in ages my trAining went well no injuries did speedwork once a week but I just can't seem to get a pb any more is it my age I'm 36 can I never get any faster I love running but feel I am no good at it so disappointed and feel all the training was a waste of time how can I get faster or am I just past it?
Dec 2013
1:56pm, 15 Dec 2013
2,235 posts
  •  
Curly45
If your mileage totals are accurate, you've not increased your mileage for a few years. More miles will make you faster. Add about 5 a week and then let it settle for a few months and go from there. You aren't past it, just not running enough to improve beyond your current plateau.
Dec 2013
1:59pm, 15 Dec 2013
588 posts
  •  
Mouseytongue
Ditto. Just had a look at your mileage log, and you've averaged 10 miles or so per week (good for you, that's more than most of the population manages) :-) But if you could double or even treble that mileage, building up slowly over weeks and months, you would surely see some new PB's.
Dec 2013
2:00pm, 15 Dec 2013
1,103 posts
  •  
Cyclops
I thought I'd never get another one as I'm ageing faster than I have time to train to counteract it. However I lost 2 stone this year and had two PBs in succession.
Dec 2013
2:09pm, 15 Dec 2013
282 posts
  •  
becky f
I have to be careful as I'm injury prone get 2-3 injuries a year and I also like running half marathons and marathons so am I expecting too much to get pbs at different race distances should I just stick to one race distance?
Dec 2013
2:35pm, 15 Dec 2013
17,015 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Its diminihing returns. You have to do more for each incremental PB.
36 isnt too old though, I am 41 :-0 and still doing OK. I didnt start running until I was 36 though.
Dec 2013
3:14pm, 15 Dec 2013
589 posts
  •  
Mouseytongue
Running more will make you stronger and less injury prone - as strange as that may sound - just take it steady. FWIW, I only started running seriously a few months after I turned 40, and 'am still improving 3 years later. Just have to be patient and keep at it.
Dec 2013
3:15pm, 15 Dec 2013
4,036 posts
  •  
icemaiden
You also need to take your WAVA ratings for each distance into account, even if you are not getting faster, your rating may be improving. Good luck!
Dec 2013
3:16pm, 15 Dec 2013
26,736 posts
  •  
Ebenellers Scrooge
An observation: If you are managing to get regular speedwork (intervals/tempo) into your programme then you could (and perhaps should) run the rest of your runs a bit slower so you're recovered enough to get the most out of them.

Beyond that I'd agree that a bit of an increase in mileage might help and that 36 isn't too old to manage any more PBs.

I've also been told that the improvements get harder when you've been running for 4 or 5 years as you've already made most of your adaptations to the training. Try mixing it up a bit.
Jan 2014
6:44pm, 19 Jan 2014
286 posts
  •  
becky f
ive got a half marathon in march I want to try and get a new pb my pb is 1.47.57 I used to run my long runs too fast so ive slowed down to about a 10.20-10.30 pace do you think this pace is too slow?

About This Thread

Maintained by
I've just ran a 10 k race and really thought I would get a pb haven't had on in ages my trAining w...