Why are we fit when most people aren't?

15 watchers
Aug 2017
12:33pm, 28 Aug 2017
6,410 posts
  •  
Jambomo
I do agree with you a well Dvorak but I also think that two things are also conflated, fitness and health.

You can be fit but not necessarily healthy. We can train all we like but if we eat a lard sandwich for lunch everyday, washed down by two pints, you are still at risk of related health issues, even if the weight isn't necessarily there. Likewise a small number of people can be in danger of doing too much, also to the detriment of their overall health.

I guess I am just objecting slightly to the idea that because people exercise, they have a moral high ground over those who don't because they are seen as looking after themselves. Also the generally held view that those who don't exercise are lazy and will suffer rather than they maybe just choose to spend their time in some other fashion.

This isn't necessarily the case, though of course fitness is a proven aid to good health, there are other influencing factors. Plenty of people who exercise still smoke, drink to excess, eat crap food and some take drugs. Exercise is only a part of the equation.
Aug 2017
12:52pm, 28 Aug 2017
11,679 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Saint - we're talking about a coach who coaches internationals here... he could be wrong... but he wasn't talking about stretches.
Aug 2017
1:32pm, 28 Aug 2017
1,828 posts
  •  
jacdaw
Jambono, do you have any evidence for your assertion that saturated fat is related to disease?
Aug 2017
1:38pm, 28 Aug 2017
6,413 posts
  •  
Jambomo
I have not asserted that satuarated fat is linked to disease. I have not mentioned saturated fat anywhere.
Aug 2017
1:43pm, 28 Aug 2017
6,414 posts
  •  
Jambomo
It is clear though that if you only ate lard sandwiches, you would be missing a number of natural vitamins and minerals that you gert from a varied diet in keeping you healthy. You would also probably have more alcohol than is good for you in washing it down with 2 pints.

There are lots of things in a persons diet which influence health, too much sugar, too much salt etc. A good diet is still necessary for good health.
Aug 2017
2:11pm, 28 Aug 2017
209 posts
  •  
Nessie
It's been touched on a few times above, but the general activity level of the population must have an effect on overall health. My parents were brought up during the war, so had rationed food, and most housework etc was manual (no washing machine/tumble dryer so clothes were hand washed and hung out to dry; no vacuum cleaners so rugs were hung over the washing line and beaten; groceries were carried home; vegetables were grown in the garden so the ground had to be dug over; etc,). Fuel was rationed, so walking was much more the norm for commuting or just generally getting around. My parents generation didn't "exercise" - there were no gyms as we know them. Jogging hadn't been heard of and famous athletes were amateurs.

I grew up not seeing exercise/sport as a "thing". I walked to school every day because that''s what people did. I climbed trees and rode my bike for fun or transport, not as a way to "get fit". And I knew how to dig a border and cut the grass, and beat rugs over the washing line.

Now we can do all of the "work" stuff at the touch of a button. Even vacuum cleaners are getting light enough that it's not the workout it used to be. So we have to find other ways to keep our bodies moving - but a lot of people don't. I didn't for many years - once I grew out of climbing trees and playing kick the can, I opted for watching TV and going to the pub (albeit I could throw some mean shapes on the dance floor). Then I found hills, and wanted to climb them. I needed to be fitter to do that, and once I realised how good fit feels, I didn't look back. Now I can remember why playing outdoors was fun as a child - because when you are fit, it is easy. When you are not fit, it's hard and no fun at all, so watching TV is "better".
Aug 2017
2:28pm, 28 Aug 2017
1,445 posts
  •  
cackleberry
Nessie - you've got it- it's too hard.
I know people who fall into that category of a 10 min walk twice a week is more than they do now, but because they never do it, it's a major expedition.

From a study of one, on my rest days I get about half the recommended number of steps in a day. I drive to work, spend most of my time at a desk, drive home, (OH might have already walked the dog) potter about making dinner and watch TV. About 4000 steps.

On a non-exercise day, I fall into that category too.
Aug 2017
2:47pm, 28 Aug 2017
11,680 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I still despair at my own children barely leaving the house, except under duress, whereas I could not wait to get out and go exploring.
Aug 2017
3:49pm, 28 Aug 2017
1,831 posts
  •  
jacdaw
I look forward to the time when everybody else stays in the house and does "virtual" whatever. Empty roads, empty countryside. Perfect.
Aug 2017
6:59pm, 28 Aug 2017
8,505 posts
  •  
Ness
Just reread the comments on here. This is interesting. I wrote a blog with the same title as this thread a couple of days ago because it made me consider what has driven me to try and keep exercising even when my injured body put obstacles in the way.

I think some people think it's just too hard to exercise and cannot see the potential benefits they might get if they keep at it.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Thinking of stories like these:

bbc.co.uk
http://www.bbc.co.uk/n...