Why are races in London too expensive to enter?

2 watchers
Apr 2017
4:42pm, 30 Apr 2017
36,138 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Sometimes runners put a value on things other than the race distance, and I don't think it's surprising that profit-making organisations for taking advantage of this.
.B.
Apr 2017
4:47pm, 30 Apr 2017
30,742 posts
  •  
.B.
I don'tfind it surpring that some of these races are expensive, the Great run series is too all around the country (10 miles in Portsmouth fir 40 quid or so) but there are cheaper races in London put on by clubs and of courses loads of free 5ks every Saturday. It's horses for couses, do the ones you are happy paying for and ignore the ones you think are over priced.
Apr 2017
4:53pm, 30 Apr 2017
14,760 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
I ran a marathon in London (Orpington) for free a few years ago. It's still free, with a suggested donation of £20. marafun.co.uk
Apr 2017
4:56pm, 30 Apr 2017
11,445 posts
  •  
Sharkie
I agree with B.
My London club put on several open races in Hyde Park, they're not expensive as races go, and they're highly regarded. They do - of course - rely on us Serpies volunteering.

We're not even allowed to enter the popular NYD 10k - we're supposed to help out instead!
Apr 2017
11:33pm, 30 Apr 2017
4,871 posts
  •  
Wobbling
Orpington is Kent.
May 2017
12:23am, 1 May 2017
6,072 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
It's also in the London Borough of Bromley, and elects GLA members...

My former neighbours organise the Marafun race so I should know!
May 2017
1:53am, 1 May 2017
11,726 posts
  •  
Carpathius
The price is why I don't enter them. Great Run has just taken over our local half marathon and of course the price has gone up while the route has changed (for the worse in my opinion, although it is my opinion only) to allow more runners.

I ran a marathon today, awesome trail race in its 35th year, organised by the local Rotary club for charity. £16.
The Essex 20, £6 to enter affiliated. No frills, free tea at the end. Great race.

They're out there.
May 2017
10:38am, 1 May 2017
26 posts
  •  
gladrags
there's no way you can compare a multiple lap race in Orpington to a central London race though? ON lots of levels.....

The London races have become destination races - can;t get into the Marathon? Then look at all these other chances to run past Big Ben/Tower Bridge etc. Some people like that and are willing to pay.

I ran the Royal PArks last year and hated it - you do see a lot of Hyde PArk and Buck House but not much else - v dull and v crowded.

There are lots of smaller races in Battersea Park/Greenwich Park/Richmond Park etc which are more reasonably priced. Those are the ones to go for IMO?

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by postie_mark
Yesterday, the London Marathon organised yet another race for the capital city The Big Half Marathon...