Who uses barefoot running drills as a part of their current training program?

20 watchers
Sep 2012
3:09pm, 6 Sep 2012
2,628 posts
  •  
Mountain Cat
I was thinking the KSO's looked suitable, my only question was whether they would be grippy enough for mud (as they have a very smooth sole).
Sep 2012
9:10pm, 6 Sep 2012
486 posts
  •  
Deeks
I agree with Happygrr, forget the vibrams and find a park with grass, dont be afraid to try barfoot on coarse ground as well, it gives better feedback and makes you improve your stance, if a bit painfully :)
Oct 2012
4:23pm, 18 Oct 2012
1,053 posts
  •  
Angel Wings
Been lurking quite a bit and thought it's time to say hi, and thank you for the posts which have given me some food for thought.

I've been running in Nike Free's since the beginning of August, and have taken them off occasionally on the golf course grass (round the edge!) as well as a mud path which was very hard mud when I last ran on it. I'm happy running in the Free's, not problems with them or any injuries - perhaps as I spend quite a lot of time in either bare feet or flipflops anyway?

I love the idea of running completely barefoot but I'm not tough enough for a winter of it so have ordered some VFF's today to try. I'd also like to try huaranchas - not sure where to start with that but I have the winter to figure it out!

I'm comfortable doing 6-8 miles in the Frees so reckon it's time to move it forwards a bit - any thoughts or tips would be useful (the title mentions drills but I just run - perhaps I should look at drills?). I guess if I was to be very honest, I dont want to do short distances as I enjoy the feeling of running longer distances. Is there any hope of this really?

Thank You :)
Oct 2012
2:26pm, 22 Oct 2012
1,055 posts
  •  
Angel Wings
For people like me who are looking for more information, a friend of a friend recommended the book The Complete Idiot's Guide to Barefoot Running having used it themselves starting off and who now runs completely barefoot up to marathon distance.

It answered most if not all of the questions I had so I thought I'd pass on that recommendation.
Nov 2012
12:44am, 18 Nov 2012
683 posts
  •  
icklevee
After reading Born to Run, probably like many others, and having suffered repeat injuries I have now ordered a pair of KSO VFF as roads and fields to messy to go pure barefoot. Need to try as really hard to do in structured supportive trainers
Nov 2012
8:41pm, 18 Nov 2012
18,508 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Lol, just tried my usual, shoes off for 1 mile in middle of a 5-6 miler. Got to the grass, shoes off, then gave up after 0.25 mile as my feet were numb! *Very* cold (ice on paths and wet grass can't have been much above 0C!) So *that's* why I bought Five Fingers - shame I hadn't brought them! :-)G
Nov 2012
10:32pm, 18 Nov 2012
685 posts
  •  
icklevee
HappyG, you're mad......and you'd have muddy feet in trainers too
Nov 2012
9:30am, 19 Nov 2012
18,510 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
That doesn't bother me so much Vee. But so cold that feet are numb and actually almost sore with cold (like walking or having hands in snow - sort of burns?) that wasn't nice! :-)G
Nov 2012
10:36pm, 19 Nov 2012
686 posts
  •  
icklevee
Hmmm you making me think is it such a good idea with the VFF or will I need ff socks too?
Nov 2012
9:01am, 20 Nov 2012
18,517 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
You can't wear socks in VFFs, can you? They're too snug. :-)G

About This Thread

Maintained by XT2runner
Having left my mike free shoes on the bench for a year and started again with them this week to atte...