Who uses barefoot running drills as a part of their current training program?

20 watchers
Jul 2012
11:23pm, 30 Jul 2012
2,238 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
I would love to do a race barefoot. I'm up to 6 miles at the moment but on grass and some lovely springy packed mud trails which are great when dry but not runnable when wet with bare feet. I do some on tarmac - it's great when the tarmac/concrete's flat and smooth, but old broken-up pavements with the bits of stone make me run like I'm on hot coals.
Jul 2012
7:10am, 31 Jul 2012
447 posts
  •  
Deeks
I will be trying the grass running soon, sounds like a good alternative if the local trails are a bit spikey with fresh gravel. I love muddy trails barefoot, though, not the best for grip and speed - but great fun !
Jul 2012
10:28am, 31 Jul 2012
3,785 posts
  •  
BanjoBax
I'm with RS, smooth flat tarmac or concrete is great

unfortunately only found raggy spikey tarmac and pebbly concrete near me so only do the occasional tiny bit of proper barefoot
Aug 2012
10:56am, 5 Aug 2012
448 posts
  •  
Deeks
This is excellent advice...

invisibleshoe.com
Aug 2012
11:09am, 5 Aug 2012
2,293 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
2 clubmates and I pretty much followed that Deeks. We also took a forefoot running course which was really helpful. We were lucky to have a really good, knowledgeable teacher who was able to give us some 1-1 help and took a holistic view of our running, coupled with our lifestyle.
Aug 2012
4:33pm, 5 Aug 2012
17,804 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Managed 3 miles on grass on Fri - with a bit of tarmac path and sandy path too. Grass is definitely most forgiving! :-)G
Aug 2012
9:37pm, 5 Aug 2012
449 posts
  •  
Deeks
I tried the grass and it felt great, but I have decided to stick with gravel paths as the spikier paths seem to reinforce my form better. Loving the effect this is having on my form, looking forward to building my fitness base up again whilst also building form - just my two barefoot coaches and me.
Aug 2012
2:32pm, 27 Aug 2012
1,239 posts
  •  
ThinkRunning
Very good advice at the end of that article....

"Instead of thinking that you can work your way to barefoot or huaraches slowly, go there immediately. But work your way up in time/distance slowly.

All the strengthening that you want to do before you run barefoot, you’ll get that faster by running barefoot."

I would add that spending as much time as possible barefoot, changing every day footwear to very minimal shoes with loads of width to allow feet to spread and plenty of practice on a treadmill either in a sympathetic gym or one at home.

I run about 20 miles per week in total completely barefoot on the treadmill at the minute. It's a great training tool the treadmill because it's a controlled environment where your form has to be good otherwise your feet blister. You also build miles gradually because holding proper form for any length of time is tiring so self regulating. Form slips and you hear and feel it. If you can't hold it, stop running. Try a bit further a day or two later, rinse and repeat.
Sep 2012
10:21am, 6 Sep 2012
2,626 posts
  •  
Mountain Cat
Hello there! I'm looking to introduce 'barefoot' running into my training, but given the state of the roads around me thought it would be best to start out with the Vibram 5 fingers.

I've looked, and there seem to be a bewildering array of different types of V5Fs - can anyone recommend which one is best? I'd be doing a mixture of road, track and trail (obviously very short distances at first).
Sep 2012
1:57pm, 6 Sep 2012
17,953 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I've got Bikilas MC, but I haven't really used them for anything other than walking. When I do barefoot (1-2 mile per week), I go barefoot! On grass. Soz. :-)G

About This Thread

Maintained by XT2runner
Having left my mike free shoes on the bench for a year and started again with them this week to atte...