Who Squares Wins!

176 watchers
Apr 2018
4:40pm, 9 Apr 2018
19,125 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I checked with The Boy, and he's approved 'Who Squares Wins' as the official name of our new game! Thank you to Wriggling Snake for coming up with that one, and for all the people who nodded their approval in the comments.

New game?

Yes, you can read more about it here, and sign up to try playing (just as soon as it becomes ready):

fetcheveryone.com/blog/3/2018/4#blog379688

Quite excitingly, I'm aiming for this game to use Elo ratings, which is nothing to do with the Birmingham classical/rock fusion band, but is actually named after its creator, Arpad Elo. It was originally used to provide rankings to chess players, and is now used in a variety of sporting models. Every player starts with 1000 points, and the amount you win or lose during each match is calculated based on the difference between your ranking and that of your opponent.

More to follow soon. Get signed up if you like the sound of it :-)
Apr 2018
4:45pm, 9 Apr 2018
19,126 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
PS watch this thread for more updates.
Apr 2018
5:54pm, 9 Apr 2018
33,658 posts
  •  
McGoohan
I love Mr Blue Sky
Apr 2018
7:23pm, 9 Apr 2018
15,576 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
I’m going to see an ELO tribute band in a couple of week’s time so I should like this game....
Apr 2018
4:40pm, 11 Apr 2018
19,139 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Some screenshots:

fetcheveryone.com/blog/3/2018/4#blog379912
Apr 2018
4:50pm, 11 Apr 2018
1,525 posts
  •  
Sigh
So, on the game board you're overlapping the two competitor's boards; can both players claim the same square at the same time, or does the square keep changing hands?
Apr 2018
4:53pm, 11 Apr 2018
19,140 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
It changes hands, depending on who has registered the most points in that square.
Apr 2018
4:56pm, 11 Apr 2018
1,526 posts
  •  
Sigh
Ahh, okay.
Apr 2018
2:35pm, 18 Apr 2018
19,176 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
If you're in the game group, I've just sent out an fmail with a link so you can try out the prototype. Here's what I said:

I've put a prototype live. It's not quite up to standard yet, but I thought it'd be useful to get your thoughts.

Unfortunately, with apologies to those of you without watches, it's a GPS game ONLY, so you will need some kind of GPS upload, whether that's from a Garmin, app, file or whatevs.

I've entered you all for the game, and generated a set of matches at random. Every Monday at midday, the matches will end and you'll be paired up against someone else. The pairing will be based on the ranking system, so if you've improved your ranking by winning your match, you'll be paired against someone of a similar ranking. Likewise, if you lose, you'll be put up against someone else who lost - at least until the rankings all settle down a bit after a few months.

I've set your home location as per your Fetch profile. You'll be able to change this once I've built that functionality. One of you has a latitude/longitude of 0,0, so unless you do most of your running off the coast of Africa, you're destined to lose for now. Give me a shout if that's you. More updates to the location system soon.

When you follow the link, you'll see a series of matches - one of which will be your match. Click the scores to see the scoring grid and (for your own match) your map. Your opponent will not be able to see your map, just you. Click anywhere on the score grid, and it'll zoom in to that square on the map, so you can check its boundaries.

Two daily points for running, one daily point for biking, and double points if you're the first person through that square that day (based on the time you log the training, not the time you ran/biked it).

Undoubtedly there will be some bugs and questions about game play, so please do shout out if anything seems to be wrong. Please watch [this thread] to share your issues, to avoid reporting the same issue twice.

Anyway... here's a link to take a look:
fetcheveryone.com/wsw.php
Apr 2018
2:39pm, 18 Apr 2018
8,477 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
Exciting! Will walking count?

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
fetcheveryone.com/wsw.php

Game guide here: