Who are all the single Fetchies!!

256 watchers
Feb 2021
6:45am, 26 Feb 2021
34,254 posts
  •  
halfpint
I don’t really think of myself as rural. I’m in a small coastal village 20 minutes from Inverness. We are within an hour or 2 of some of the most stunning areas. I love the outdoor lifestyle I have here. House prices where I am are a bit higher because people are buying houses as holiday let’s etc. There are other towns nearby where prices are lower. Either way I get more bang for my buck than Aberdeenshire which is where I moved from.

Inverness or surrounding is probably a good shout. Reasonable travel links. Easy to visit your local family and get back to Bristol. Lots of nature nearby. There are a lot of wild swimmers around too.
Feb 2021
8:06am, 26 Feb 2021
21,748 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
Thanks everyone for all your input. A lot of the points I have considered already in doing my research; but good to have them confirmed. I checked ferry and train combination from Shetland and it looks not too much of an issue. It may be that I could do some residential there, while taking the degree in Inverness.

I may also be able to buy a studio or 1-bed flat with my lump sum at some point and see if I can get a loan to study, plus work part-time. Prices are less than half of the same thing in Bristol!

It's very scary doing all this stuff on my own, but at least I'll have family nearby to pop over and see.

Bristol is a bustling city with lots going on, but it's also on a muddy estuary which you can't swim in. Bristol has become really expensive, which means it's lost a lot of its little backstreet gems - restaurants and shops, due to increased rent probably. This has also impacted on diversity. I actually think the quality of eateries has gone down, as lots of new places are opening up, but with a slapdash and short-term profit attitude. That seems to be a new attitude here.
Feb 2021
8:15am, 26 Feb 2021
21,749 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
Hann - I would love to have a chat about it all some time. Your place is lovely. I like having hardly any choice, but what's there is good.

I just feel I'm rotting away here. I've not met anyone. We've been through a pandemic under a terrible government. My friends are all lovely and I'd miss them - but they are all settled and have places to live. I'm very much the odd one out here - struggling to get a roof over my head. They did all have help from parents starting out which I didn't. People say it's expensive now and it is; it's worse than ever, but even over 20 years ago, young people couldn't do it on their own.

I'm desperate to get a dog too - a companion, sidekick, best friend.
Feb 2021
8:18am, 26 Feb 2021
21,750 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
Oh and I had heard from my family that the ferries were really expensive. Northlink Aberdeen to Lerwick looks fairly reasonable to me. I guess if it's a regular route, they don't take the piss.
Feb 2021
10:25am, 26 Feb 2021
5,940 posts
  •  
Southcoastpete
Bristol sounds a lot like Brighton RS. A great place to live, but very expensive.

Hann, did you think you would love you place so much when you first moved there?

I've fancied making a move for quite a while now. I had major worries about work before Christmas due a re org which could have mean taking redundancy. But I came through it fine, and actually got a promotion and a pay rise.

Now I thinking, lets do it. Though my plan is to move away from the town I grew up in, which is exciting, but a worry as everything is quite convenient here. Plus I've got friends and work here.
Feb 2021
10:30am, 26 Feb 2021
12,824 posts
  •  
Jason1969
Hello, it's only me.
The only regrets I have are for the things I didn't do.
So I say go for it. You'll only spend years wondering about it if you don't.
It sounds very exciting!
Feb 2021
10:38am, 26 Feb 2021
34,259 posts
  •  
halfpint
I agree Jason (hello btw). It was a massive leap of faith to move here but absolutely no regrets. We’ve had tough times (though I think things would have been rough with QP anyway) but this is home now.
Feb 2021
1:46pm, 26 Feb 2021
5,942 posts
  •  
Southcoastpete
Thanks Jason, good to hear from you.

My parents moved away from here a couple of years ago, and they are doing fine.
So if they can do it in their 70's, so can I :)
Feb 2021
2:53pm, 26 Feb 2021
21,752 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
Lots to think about and in reality, I would need my money to pay for the course and living, so may not be able to buy anywhere to live longer-term as my money disappears. I might be lucky and find part-time work (although the course is listed at 40 hours per week).

My family may have a flat that I could rent from them - I think my cousin has one or two in Elgin. I'd then either study in Elgin or commute to Inverness. I wouldn't be able to afford a car.
Feb 2021
2:57pm, 26 Feb 2021
13,434 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Elgin has a rail station on the Inverness to Aberdeen line

I'll let those who live up there comment more, but having visited the area, not having a car might make some things difficult.

About This Thread

Single? Want to chat?