BETTER WITHOUT ADS? Become a voluntary supporter

Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Who are all the single Fetchies!!

1 lurker | 250 watchers
26 Feb
3:09pm, 26 Feb 2021
11297 posts
MazzyH
Squizz, would you have to pay fees?

and if yes, would you still have to pay fees if you were a registered resident for some time before you studied?
26 Feb
3:31pm, 26 Feb 2021
21753 posts
Red Squirrel
Yes it does Fozzy. My family live around Elgin, so I've used the train. There's also a good bus service. When I visit, we cycle everywhere or hike and bus back. I've taken my bike on the bus too.

It won't be easy travel-wise, but then life in Bristol with not much money isn't easy either and I don't have massive expectations. As a low-earner I never have.
26 Feb
3:34pm, 26 Feb 2021
21754 posts
Red Squirrel
Hi Mazz. Yes, I think you have to be domiciled in Scotland for 3 years, so I'll probably have to pay just over £9K per year. I'm going to call the college on Monday to check this is the case. Otherwise, I would pay just under £2K per year.
26 Feb
3:41pm, 26 Feb 2021
3786 posts
Pou Pou LePhoõk
How important is going to Uni in your plans, RS? If you didn't go to Uni, would you still go, and what would you do instead?
26 Feb
4:09pm, 26 Feb 2021
21755 posts
Red Squirrel
That's the thing I want to do Phook - study, but I also want to move to somewhere much more rural and with access to the sea and wildlife. It makes sense to be in Morayshire as I have connections there. I'll also hopefully be able to do some travelling around the islands and visit other side of the family in Shetland, Fife and Glasgow.
26 Feb
4:13pm, 26 Feb 2021
21756 posts
Red Squirrel
Got to admit, during the pandemic I became a bit of a lost soul and the isolation was very difficult. I struggled to find purpose and need to find that now. If the flat I'm trying to buy at the moment falls through, I'm a bit stuck as I can't keep losing money and I'm feeling really "meh" about the flat anyway. As Hann says - it'll be a crippling mortgage with a frugal quality of life and no savings for repairs. If I'm going to be frugal, I'd rather be it in a lovely place.
26 Feb
8:04pm, 26 Feb 2021
70816 posts
Hanneke
Exactly! I sid exactly that and didnt look back. Cost of living olumeted, quality of life went up, the fact thst I have to run a car isnt an issue, because everything else is so much cheaper here.
And on a low income, which I am too, I have excellent quality of life while in london, on 3x as much, I struggled getting more and more into debt.
But: quality of life is most important! And having met you a few times, I suspect you are very similar to me as in not having a crippling mortgage is better than having access to the hustle and bustle of Bristol. Things have changed dramatically last year and I was talking to my client earlier about how much better life is in a rural area.
I am on my own too and I would have really really struggled in your position.
Also I get your desire for a dog. I wouldnt be without my cat.
I like the idea of near Inverness, where your familiy is. Good connections etc have a look at house prices?
I would be reluctant to eat into my deposit if I were you. I chose my chapel carefully thinking if things change, I can always rent it out... Had I waited, I would not have had enough money left to buy anything decent without a crippling mortgage.
8 Mar
9:36am, 8 Mar 2021
11298 posts
MazzyH
any decisions made Squizz?
8 Mar
12:53pm, 8 Mar 2021
21758 posts
Red Squirrel
Not yet Mazzy. I've been looking at the course and weighing up my options. If the flat does go through, I'll still try to do the course but part-time and see if 2 years down the line I could convert it if I was able to move north.

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Single? Want to chat?