2 watchers
Mar 2013
12:19pm, 22 Mar 2013
14,180 posts
  •  
hellen
Next weekend I am running 100km in an England vest in Scotland

I think it might be cold so I need something white to wear underneath

I have a couple a white LS tops but if the weather is like today they will not be warm enough . I have a basic HH LS top ( not white but they do come in white) but that is not really any warmer than my LS white tops

So any suggestions apart from a white wooly jumper? It's very hard when looking online to know how warm something is! What's so special about Marino wool? I keep seeing it in some of the tops?
Mar 2013
12:22pm, 22 Mar 2013
15,418 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
amazon.co.uk

Merino/lifa mix
Mar 2013
12:29pm, 22 Mar 2013
24,600 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Merino is nice to wear and the really good branded merino kit - Ice Breaker, Smartwool, Arc'teryx - isn't at all itchy next to your skin, and it lasts forever. And it allegedly doesn't get smelly. I don't think that's true - my tops certainly take on a vague whiff of reptilian armpit and deodorant by the end of the day and I'd smell like a sheep if I wore the same top for a full week - but it doesn't develop that nasty eye-watering nostril-searing stink that you get from polypropylene and the like.

The downside is that if it's raining the merino will suck up water and become heavy, and if you're prone to chafing it might rub. And under a waterproof it'll absorb sweat and get very damp.
Mar 2013
12:37pm, 22 Mar 2013
5,139 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
When I was doing the Marcothon I wore a Smartwool merino top for up to 8 or 9 times without washing it (many of the runs were only half an hour and it was December!) and I was amazed that the claims about merino not smelling were largely true

Wool is very difficult to bleach to a really good white without damaging it severely (I've worked in and around the textile industry for 30+ years) and if you want a 'proper' white you will probably struggle Hellen

A possibility is a silk top, like the ones used for skiing etc. Silk has fantastic thermal properties and although obviously not cheap is a real luxury fibre :-)
Mar 2013
12:40pm, 22 Mar 2013
15,419 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Those HH warm ones are really warm and have a lifa layer next to the skin and merino outside.

They do smell a little more than pure merino, but it washes out easily and would only be an issue for repeated wears without washing between.
I have three!
Mar 2013
1:17pm, 22 Mar 2013
12,148 posts
  •  
Meglet
If you don't mind spending a bit the Rapha base layers are merino and excellent, and come in white and black-it might be slightly off white but it's close.
I find merino good for a big range of temperatures and most of my winter tops are merino. Definitely not as smelly as manmade!
Mar 2013
1:19pm, 22 Mar 2013
12,149 posts
  •  
Meglet
rapha.cc though they don't seem to have ladies long sleeved.
Icebreaker are fab too.
Mar 2013
1:24pm, 22 Mar 2013
24,606 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Those Rapha ones are a decent price compared with other good brands.

I've just made the mistake of going to my Arc'teryx-pusher's website and there are several new colours of my favourite top ... theoutdoorgearshop.co.uk

I like these for the way they're shaped.
Mar 2013
1:29pm, 22 Mar 2013
3,171 posts
  •  
Tav H
I've got a bike-specific one by Orca with merino mesh on the back and down the inside of the arms. The only problem is that it chafes my neck on long wet runs, but I wouldn't be without it at the moment.
Mar 2013
2:34pm, 22 Mar 2013
14,182 posts
  •  
hellen
Thanks for the links , they are quite expensive! It's just one event as in other races when I get cold I can wear a jacket!

I don't think it matters if it is a bit off white

Are the HH ice ones much warmer than the normal HH ones?

About This Thread

Maintained by hellen
Next weekend I am running 100km in an England vest in Scotland

I think it might be cold so I need ...