Which running books?

31 watchers
Sep 2011
8:15pm, 4 Sep 2011
1,205 posts
  •  
Paul Snell
I have ordered Daniels over t'internet. So you can expect a rash of pb's from me next season (three months of straight training without going down with the plague would be a start).
Sep 2011
8:52am, 12 Sep 2011
3 posts
  •  
Simon Edward
I think the Daniels book is very good. Another favourite of mine is Healthy Intelligent Training by Keith Livingstone: it gets across the approach of Lydiard much better than I think even his own books do, and has the benefit of being modernised.

I've read most of Lore of Running. There's lots of good stuff in there, but there is definitely a bias towards marathons/ultras and it can be a bit tedious at times. The Coe/Martin book is another good one.
Sep 2011
10:56am, 13 Sep 2011
1,220 posts
  •  
Paul Snell
reading Daniels - what a good book! I have discovered that I follow the "hurt as much as possible all the time" training method.
Sep 2011
11:08am, 13 Sep 2011
2,120 posts
  •  
Doctor K
"The Ghost Runner" by Bill Jones -story of the runner John Tarrant -great read
Sep 2011
11:10am, 13 Sep 2011
16,566 posts
  •  
Frobester
Not recommending anything, but I wonder to what extent running books are like "bringing up baby" books - in the sense that a lot of writers/publishers of parenting books peddle them as "the guide to...", as opposed to "my experiences in..." - and given we're all different, wouldn't it be more honest of writers/publishers of marathon books to pitch them as "how my training worked for me", rather than "how my new, patented running method will work for you"?

Just a thought.
Sep 2011
11:12am, 13 Sep 2011
9,992 posts
  •  
FRU (keep the faith)
I found my "marathon running for dummies" book yesterday while clearing out a stack of old stuff.. I still think that is the best running book I ever read.. just simple and to the point (and good for dummies like me! LOL) :)
Sep 2011
11:20am, 13 Sep 2011
1,348 posts
  •  
P.E...
Another vote for Speddings book here, whilst the training log is kinda useful it's more the mental side that I found interesting.

Advanced Marathoning by P&D (the latest addition has core workouts etc) & Lore of Running by Noakes the rest i've got are a bit pants...
Sep 2011
11:22am, 13 Sep 2011
10 posts
  •  
Simon Edward
Frobester, I haven't found that to be the case with the books I've recommended. For example, Daniels bases his advice from studies of large numbers of runners, including work done in the lab and experience drawn from years of coaching experience. Noakes provides the details of research and training of elites and bases his advice on this. In my opinion a good writer will provide guidelines and the reasoning behind them, but also encourage the reader to use their own experience.
Sep 2011
11:28am, 13 Sep 2011
16,567 posts
  •  
Frobester
Fair enough, Simon, as I said it was just a thought. I haven't read a representative sample of running books, so it was more idle pontificating on my part. I guess it'd be nice if writers of other genres of books applied the same rigour as those you've recommended.
Sep 2011
10:35am, 23 Sep 2011
1,227 posts
  •  
Paul Snell
A big thumbs up for Daniels - it is really good. It is scientific, clear and well explained. He follows the principle of reaching full improvement from the same training before upping miles / pace, much better for inconsistent overtrainers like me!

About This Thread

Maintained by Snellers
Add your books, scores and reviews to our list:

fetcheveryone.com/books.php