Which is best, Coros Apex or Garmin Fenix 5x? Only one way to find out.... FIGHT! :)

5 watchers
Sep 2020
1:02pm, 27 Sep 2020
2,672 posts
  •  
Trin
But seriously, I've got some long ultras and a multi day event next year, and I know my Garmin 235 won't be up to the task so I was thinking of writing a letter to santa ;)
But which is best?
Sep 2020
1:16pm, 27 Sep 2020
139 posts
  •  
SteveCRunner
Both are amply good enough, I would think. I switched to Apex from F5 recently. Apart from battery, the one thing I value on the Apex more than the Fenix is the fact that a route breadcrumb stays centred on the Apex no matter the level of zoom. On the Fenix it only stays centred on the default zoom level. For a new trail for me that is not marked or signposted this saves a lot of button clicking. On the other hand, there is no base map behind it or turn-by-turn warning on the Apex.
Sep 2020
1:40pm, 27 Sep 2020
2,673 posts
  •  
Trin
Thanks Steve, from what I've seen, the Apex is quite a bit cheaper than the Fenix. What do you think is the main reason
Sep 2020
2:50pm, 27 Sep 2020
14 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
I just upgraded from a garmin 735 after service centre lost my watch so as a refund ideal to upgrade.I pondered a polar, Coros but in the end stuck to what i have known for 18 years a Garmin Fenix 5 x with Sapphire screen.I got a refurbished one which is like new with 2 year warranty for £299 and I have not had it a week yet but think it is the Dog's pyjamas:-)The battery life is amazing and the screen is clear and crisp so I can see whilst running.
Sep 2020
3:54pm, 27 Sep 2020
2,674 posts
  •  
Trin
What is the battery life Welshpoppy?

That's one thing that attracted me to the Apex, the battery life is reported to be up to 80 hours ultramax gps mode, and 24 days regular use.
Sep 2020
3:55pm, 27 Sep 2020
2,675 posts
  •  
Trin
Although I'm not sure what 'ultramax gps mode' actually means ;)
Sep 2020
4:10pm, 27 Sep 2020
15 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
The Fenix5 x has ultra trac I think it is called and similar hours although not found that but only had Watch tuesday:-) I charged it Wednesday early before run and lasted till this morning.Still battery left but I wanted to make sure I was safe. so 5 days at 2 hours GPS a day.Here is link to battery life it is 75 hours in Ultra mode and 24 hours in GPS mode.It depends what you have using battery that is draining.
www8.garmin.com
Dec 2020
1:07pm, 11 Dec 2020
254 posts
  •  
SteveC amid the winters snow
Hi Trin, did you write a letter to Santa for a Coros? I still am a big fan with well over 1000 km logged on mine now.
Dec 2020
1:18pm, 11 Dec 2020
1,017 posts
  •  
Snoot
I was intending to use the Coros as a watch and for some runs / walks and using my Suunto for most training. I'm actually using the Suunto less and less as I'm just keeping the Apex on all the time.

Currently at 78% battery, est. 20-23 days / 27hrs GPS left, 5 days since charge.
Dec 2020
1:21pm, 11 Dec 2020
259 posts
  •  
SteveC amid the winters snow
Should last is for the Lapland Challenge 😀

About This Thread

Maintained by
But seriously, I've got some long ultras and a multi day event next year, and I know my Garmin ...