Which Innov8 shoes for North Downs (Reigate)

1 watcher
Jan 2017
3:01pm, 5 Jan 2017
26 posts
  •  
Khanivore
Hi, I've not done much trail running but I live 15 min drive from the North Downs near Reigate. I think the conditions can get very slippery with mud on a hard trail in places, some chalky. It can also get quite boggy with clay and sand in the soil.

Which innov8 shoes would you recommend for such terrain? A certain shop has them on sale right now but I don't know which to get.

If would appreciate any non in innov8 recommendations too.
Jan 2017
4:27pm, 5 Jan 2017
35,236 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Slippery with mud -> I would advise you NOT to get Trailrocs. They're sold a lot down south and on A Certain Shop online, and I love them for easy dry trails, but they don't have the sticky rubber compound on the soles.

If you like something substantial and with a large (by Inov8 standards) heel-toe differential, the X-Claw 275 is good in rough off-road conditions and will tolerate a little bit of tarmac. I know some people swear by the Terraclaw 250 but I haven't tried it. If you like tiny little flat daps, one of the X-Talon variants might suit you well. They're brilliant in slippery conditions.

My advice would be to go to a shop and try on everything. It's amazing how what suits one person can be the worst shoe in the world for someone else.
Jan 2017
4:33pm, 5 Jan 2017
6,993 posts
  •  
becca7
Inov8 do a very, very wide range of shoes, so it depends which would be the best of the ones that the shop has on offer. When I've run bits of the NDW I've been OK in Roclites, which are good for multi terrain but there would be other models with better grip in slippery conditions.

There will be some on the ultra marathon thread who have run the whole of the NDW and might be more likely to see your question if you post it on there, even if you aren't planning on running ultra distances.
Jan 2017
9:18pm, 5 Jan 2017
31 posts
  •  
Khanivore
Ok thanks - I will ask the ultra lunatics too :)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Khanivore
Hi, I've not done much trail running but I live 15 min drive from the North Downs near Reigate. I t...