•  
Homer
I'm tempted to try the chest torch too
Dec 2019
9:36pm, 29 Dec 2019
4,275 posts
  •  
Vancouver Jogger
So it turns out that I did get a Kalenji chest torch for Christmas. Only had one chance to use it so far and I think it will be fine - just take a bit of getting used to. The light moves around more than my head torch, but as it lights a bigger area that is not a problem. The real difference will be on those mornings when it's raining as I'll be able to wear a cap
Dec 2019
7:56am, 30 Dec 2019
13,608 posts
  •  
Homer
Thanks for the review
Jan 2020
9:05am, 17 Jan 2020
4,341 posts
  •  
Vancouver Jogger
Heavy, driving rain this morning and the Kalenji chest torch came into its own. Could keep my cap pulled right down and my glasses stayed (mostly) dry.
Sep 2020
1:11pm, 21 Sep 2020
4,008 posts
  •  
Kieren
My night vision seems to have deteriorated and I could barely see anything on my recent run in the dark where I have previously been pretty OK. Maybe it gets better with practice?

What sort of light output do people recommend? I'll probably get one of the cheap < £12 amazon head torches to see if it is for me.

Intended use is city park running - in my park there are sections with lights but they are too dim for running & don't really light up the path. Other sections, under trees are very dark.

I'll mostly be easy running at about 9 minute mile pace with speed work on an unlit, rutted cinder track up to maybe 5 minute mile pace.
Sep 2020
1:14pm, 21 Sep 2020
4,009 posts
  •  
Kieren
I forgot, for the medium term, runs are unlikely to exceed 90 minutes
Sep 2020
7:35am, 22 Sep 2020
46,523 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
‘I'll mostly be easy running at about 9 minute mile pace with speed work on an unlit, rutted cinder track up to maybe 5 minute mile pace‘

If you are serious about 5 minute mailing on a rutted track buy the brightest you can afford

My wife recently got a Ledlenser MH10. Initial thoughts are it’s a good compromise re weight / cost, comfort and brightness

A hand torch is another option. I don’t do much five minute mailing (unless chased by a bull or angry dog) but I’m not sure a headtorch is definitely the best option
Sep 2020
7:51am, 22 Sep 2020
32,488 posts
  •  
halfpint
I just got one of these alpkit.com as a second head torch for dog walking.

I’ve always been happy with the Alp kit head torches. They have the Muon which is even brighter for 11.99 atm.
Sep 2020
7:54am, 22 Sep 2020
46,524 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I use a little Alpkit when roadrunning if it’s more a way to be seen rather than seeing where I’m going. I was out with it last night
Sep 2020
7:57am, 22 Sep 2020
1,914 posts
  •  
RunningRonnie
I had an Alpkit which was great. Just a shame that a tiny bit of plastic breaking off the battery case basically made it unusable.

I've just bought this one to replace it.

amazon.co.uk

About This Thread

Maintained by Chell
I'm embarking on running the Bullock Smithy come September and will need a head torch for it. With...