Which headtorch?

13 watchers
Jan 2015
1:40pm, 1 Jan 2015
6 posts
  •  
Chell
I'm embarking on running the Bullock Smithy come September and will need a head torch for it. With the many out there on the market I have no idea where to start or what to go for and unfortunately it's not something you can test before buying. I haven't got hundreds of pounds to spend as some I have seen are £200 plus. Any suggestions on what will take me round the Peak District at night?
Jan 2015
2:04pm, 1 Jan 2015
315 posts
  •  
pink fairy
I don't know whether it's enough for what you need, but I bought an Alpkit viper headtorch alpkit.com after reading lots of good reviews for it. There's also the Alpkit gamma which is slightly more expensive, but both are bargainous. Mine is really good and I've used it on trails on my own and felt very happy with it.
Jan 2015
2:29pm, 1 Jan 2015
8,271 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Alpkit Gamma is superb value and does the job at least as well as much more costly models.
Jan 2015
2:52pm, 1 Jan 2015
7,269 posts
  •  
jinglegeordiebells
I have the alpkit gamma and agree with Diogenes, it's brilliant.
Jan 2015
3:43pm, 1 Jan 2015
1,425 posts
  •  
Mr Jono to you Sir!
a vote for alpkit here, decent kit for the money
Jan 2015
3:46pm, 1 Jan 2015
1,323 posts
  •  
RunningInCircles
I have brighter head torches, but love the Alpkit stuff. They are great. Cheap & well built. Try one out. If you find you need more, then you still have a great little head torch that cost you very little :-)
Plus they are from a great little company that are still civilised enough to have a human write a thank you note that is dropped in with your order :-)
Jan 2015
10:12am, 2 Jan 2015
7 posts
  •  
Chell
That's great, thanks, especially as you all agree on Alpkit. I'll check out that link from you, Pink Fairy :)
Jan 2015
10:17am, 2 Jan 2015
1,179 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
For an extra £3, then I think the Gamma is better than the Viper :-
a) the batteries are at the rear, so the unit is more balanced on your head. The Viper has all the weight at the front.
b) The Gamma has a rear red light, which is great if you run on unlit roads
c) The Gamma has an over the head strap, which makes it more comfortable
Jan 2015
10:27am, 2 Jan 2015
2,143 posts
  •  
Nelly
flanker fairly recently wrote an excellent blog on the subject here http://www.fetcheveryone.com/blog-view.php?id=2305&m=0&y=0#blog323960 from his own experiences trying to find the correct headtorch for the Lakeland 100. The Alpkit Gamma faired very well in his opinion, but he ended up using a Petal Tikka RXP for through-the-night running.
Jan 2015
10:31am, 2 Jan 2015
14,069 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I love Alpkit torches. If you find it's not bright enough look into the Lensers. Great value

About This Thread

Maintained by Chell
I'm embarking on running the Bullock Smithy come September and will need a head torch for it. With...