where do your trainers burst?

3 watchers
Dec 2019
2:13pm, 3 Dec 2019
6 posts
  •  
bundance
Where do you get holes in your shoes? I've got two pairs just now that have burst in the same place on both feet and I would like to know if it's because the shoes are low quality (plenty of life left in the soles of both), wrong size or it's just my running style.

Both pairs, both shoes, burst on the side at the level of my big toe, metatarsal - phalange joint (big joint where the big toe becomes mobile from the foot)

Both pairs of shoes are Merrell. One is 'vapour glove' and the other is 'bare access trail'. I like them both a lot but bursting like that is annoying and I'm loathe to replace them with the same if they are likely to burst again. They aren't too tight, half a size bigger than my shoe size, my toes don't bump on the end.

What do you think, anyone else got experience with these shoes? Or bursting at that location?
Dec 2019
2:27pm, 3 Dec 2019
1,287 posts
  •  
oumaumau
Before they burst were they fraying/the mesh breaking down? How many miles (guestimate) did you get out of them, and do you keep them clean?
Dec 2019
2:28pm, 3 Dec 2019
1,288 posts
  •  
oumaumau
Oh, and to answer you posed question, usually at the same point, but on the outer edge - I tend to run on the outside of my foot, and gradually wear the mesh away..
Dec 2019
3:08pm, 3 Dec 2019
7 posts
  •  
bundance
maybe 300 miles or so each. More in the vapour glove than the trail for sure though; including a marathon.

Yes, they wore down I suppose, not all of a sudden. I'm most disapointed in the trail shoes bursting though. Maybe they should be worn pulled tighter at that point to reduce movement. I'll need to choose a different make of trail shoe but I'd get the vapour glove again probably when the dry weather approaches.
Dec 2019
3:09pm, 3 Dec 2019
8 posts
  •  
bundance
Don't tend to clean my shoes, just let them air dry and put them in the washing machine if they get too whiffy.
PK
Dec 2019
3:14pm, 3 Dec 2019
76 posts
  •  
PK
I couldn't say for certain as I don't know the shoe, but could it be a pronation thing? if it's the mesh part, could they be too big, and the feet slip making the mesh tear more easily?

I run with Asics and generally get up to about 700km out them, but I know some shoes have a lower tolerance.
Dec 2019
3:16pm, 3 Dec 2019
1,289 posts
  •  
oumaumau
Although they are not tight, maybe you need just a little more room to allow your toe to flex naturally without stressing the mesh - more height of the toe box than width of the shoe.

Same goes for cleaning them, if they're choked with mud they may not flex as readily, and therefore wear more rapidly.

Just my 2c.. Maybe check in with the lovely fetchies over on the minimalist thread to see what they recommend? fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=44328
Dec 2019
3:24pm, 3 Dec 2019
1,290 posts
  •  
oumaumau
Depending on where you got the shoes, is it worth taking them back and discussing what went wrong. One of my local shops are happy to chat things like this over, and even contact distributors if there's a persistent problem with a certain model.

Doubtful you'd get a refund with that many miles on them, but they may be able to point you in the direction of an alternative
Dec 2019
10:18pm, 3 Dec 2019
15,386 posts
  •  
jennywren
I’ve got Merrill bare access trails as well and mine have done the same thing in the same place but on both sides of the shoe. Shame because they’re so comfortable. I just use them for walking around now.
Dec 2019
10:21pm, 3 Dec 2019
3,376 posts
  •  
mr d
When I used to run is Asics my big toe would appear at approx 300 miles without fail.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Where do you get holes in your shoes? I've got two pairs just now that have burst in the same p...