When did you last give blood?

1 lurker | 97 watchers
Jul 2021
11:33pm, 10 Jul 2021
First-time poster!!
  •  
gillmichell
Living with high blood pressure is not very pleasant. My friend has high blood pressure. These are constant headaches, and in the literal sense.
Jul 2021
7:28am, 11 Jul 2021
39,132 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Hi gillm, welcome to Fetch. High blood pressure sounds nasty.
Jul 2021
1:03pm, 13 Jul 2021
2,861 posts
  •  
Snoot
My last one went to the Christie Hospital, I do like finding out where your donation ended up :-)
Jul 2021
1:36pm, 20 Jul 2021
14,795 posts
  •  
SarahWoo
Me too, Snoot. Mine's gone to Liverpool University Hospital :)
Jul 2021
5:50pm, 28 Jul 2021
2 posts
  •  
gillmichell
Oh, now many people do not want to donate blood. They are afraid of getting infected from a non-sterile needle. Many people are afraid of getting infected with covid, especially young people. Although I believe that there is nothing to be afraid of, everything is sterile with doctors. I have a friend who is studying to be a Phlebotomist. He tells me a lot, says that everything is sterile there, that new bandages, gauze bandages, disposable gloves, syringes are brought to practice every week. The practice was provided to him by some courses where he studied. I never thought that he would be interested in medicine, because after school he wanted to enter the kitchen.

this site phlebotomynearyou.com
Jul 2021
6:42pm, 28 Jul 2021
12,225 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Am due to donate on Tuesday which will be the first time since I passed out and played silly buggers donating.
Jul 2021
7:03pm, 28 Jul 2021
53,613 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I had a weird 'phone call from Blood UK (correct number) the other day asking if I wanted them to find me an appointment and then, when I said I'd make my own appointment online, asking if they could help me with anything else. I'm not quite due to donate again yet :-O
Jul 2021
10:09am, 29 Jul 2021
53,616 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Checked online, had no trouble getting an appointment to donate on 6th August, the first day I become able to donate again and by coincidence also my once-a-fortnight weekday afternoon off work. Given how tricky finding an appointment around here normally is, maybe the person on the 'phone was speaking the truth when they said there was a desperate need for blood.
Jul 2021
8:43pm, 29 Jul 2021
335 posts
  •  
ftrobbie
@Velocirapaptor, I think they are, I suspect they have had a lot of cancellations due to Pinggate. I had the same call a while back and did the same as you, sorted it online.

Stay with it, we are helping somewhere, however hearing the news about cancelled elective surgery I expect that donors will start being cancelled/ deferred. It's a fine balancing act between have blood to use and it spoiling because it is out of date.
Jul 2021
8:21am, 30 Jul 2021
39,370 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I'm due to give again mid Aug. I'll leave it until closer to the time to book.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.